Help HK AVR 325 Vs 525??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RaviK, Jun 11, 2004.

1. RaviK

RaviK Agent

I am trying to decide between a used HK AVR 325 and AVR 525. Can somebody tell me some the important differences between them, apart from the power? I'm getting the 325 for $280 and the 525 for $425 (both used, but the 525 has about 6 months of warranty left). Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ravi

2. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

3. RaviK

RaviK Agent

Andrew,

In the "detailed comparision" section, they just compare 520 and 320 (even if you select the link from 325's product information page). Moreover, I would like to know if there is something I should know from an "end-user's perspective". In fact, lately I'm seeing so many quality related issues that I'm re-thinking about buying an HK at all! I'm planning to use them with the Rocket ELT speakers and prefer warm sound. Thought of getting a Denon, but looks like HK offers more value than a Denon (esp. they have pre-outs), in the same price range.

Thanks,
    Ravi

4. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

All the manufacturers will have quality problems to some extent. I've had my AVR325 for about 9 months now and I've had nothing but good times. I bought it refurbished from www.onecall.com for $390. It has plenty of power to drive about any speaker. I can turn the volume up to very uncomfortable listening levels and have never heard any distortion.

I think you should get the 525 if it's only about $100 more and has a warranty left on it.

5. RaviK

RaviK Agent

But then, why is it that I seem more of these posts only regarding HK? Good to know that your 325 runs without any issues, though. Yes, I am inclining towards the 525, unless I get a killer deal on a 325.

6. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Buying an HK used or from an unauthorized dealer is potentially going to sour your opinion of the company, especially if you have a problem. I bought mine from an authorized dealer and I have no complaints.

7. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Get an HK 430, 630, or 7200 instead, maybe via refurb direct from HK. Ebay seller ID harmanaudio.

8. RaviK

RaviK Agent

I don't find a 430 from HK Direct on ebay and the 630s and 7200s are a little out of my price range. I once saw a good deal on a 525 on harman audio, but by the time I could research on them they were gone [​IMG]

9. RaviK

RaviK Agent

Is it true that the 325 doesn't offer as much Bass Management functionalities as the 525? This might make my decision making process easier [​IMG]