1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HELP, HK 320 and analog sound....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Webb, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Michael Webb

Michael Webb Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm tinkering with my new 320, and am not able to get strictly analog sound out of my 53" Panny speakers, when my RP-82 is connected to the receiver, rather than directly to the TV. What setting do I need to have the receiver on to get the analog sound off of my TV until I get a surround set-up? I have an optical cable connected from the 320 to the RP-82, plus the standard audio cable from the 320 to the RP-82, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? I'm pretty new at this, help me!

2. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

did you run 5.1 interconnects to the 6/8 channel inputs on the receiver? you select 6 channel in the menu in/out setup.

if you are just running standard l/r connected to the dvd input on the receiver, hit the dvd button the remote, then hit AVR button next to it, then hit the Digital button (Exit) and then hit the up and down arrows on the circular pad to cycle thru the inputs

3. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

Well, if you don't want the receiver to do 'sound processing' for now, don't hook it up yet. Just run your DVD player straight to your tv. Older DVD players used to have two sets of a/v outputs, which made it nice for a situation like yours. Sorry, I can't think of a way around this for now. Do you have your receiver hooked up now to do video switching?

4. Michael Webb

Well I got the Analog to come up on the receiver, but still no sound? The FL & FR inputs are coming from my TV, while the DVD IN audio is coming obviously from my DVD, but dang I still can't get any sound? Do I have this hooked up correctly? I know I'm going to slap myself when I find out the problem. I doubt it has anything to do with what's turned on/off on my TV.

5. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Wow I'm pretty good with the H/K AVR 320 but I don't understand your question. Can you rephrase it and I might be able to help. I had to "fidel" with mine before I really under stood it. I would say just take your time check you connections and your OSD make sure that your Analog is on for the Channel you are trying to use you can't have both.

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Are you using a S video cable or something like that and expecting the HK to covert the S video to a component signal? If that is the case- the HK won't do that for you.

7. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I don't understand why you'd want your TV speakers outputting any sound, analog or digital, since they're running at probably 1/10th the power of the HK. If you don't have any speakers hooked up to the receiver, then take it out of the equation entirely until you get the speakers. IMPORTANT: Don't forget to read the manual! It tells you exactly how to set up the receiver, which requires you use the OSD, which means you need to have a video connection between the receiver and the TV. That being said, if you're still looking to just hook up stereo sound from the DVD to the TV without using the receiver, keep reading.
    Using a stereo RCA cable (red and white) and a composite video cable (yellow), or a A/V cable which is all three combined, connect the DVD's Left, Right, and Video to the Inputs on the TV. It's important to use the composite video cable, since many players don't automatically default to S-video or component.
    The next thing to do is go through the menu options. If you want to use S-video or component, make sure to choose that output in video options. You may have to switch inputs on the TV. For sound, go to the audio options menu and see if there's a choice between outputs and change that to stereo if available. Also check to see if there's a listing for Bitstream or for PCM, and change that. Let us know if that solves the problem.

8. Michael Webb

First of all, thank you everyone for trying to help, I realize I'm not explaining myself very well, but I'll give it a try, and realize I have not yet tried what Jesse Blacklow mentioned, I just got off work. So here goes....
    I have a Panasonic 53" widescreen, an RP-82, and a new HK 320. Before I had the HK, I had the dvd player connected directly to the component input on the television. I NOW want to take advantage of having my receiver(at least until I get surround sound) by running the DVD player(via component) through the receiver, and then to the television. So I did this, but for some reason am not getting any sound through my television speakers when playing a dvd(once again routed through the receiver). I was just asking if anyone had any OFF THE TOP reasons why I can't figure out why I don't have any sound. I realize the OSD on the HK only plays through s-video and audio-visual plugs, and have taken a look at it, but haven't found anything that helps. I WAS THINKING, I had the audio-out cables from my DVD player connected wrong on the receiver, so I asked WHERE SHOULD THEY BE GOING? I think I know, but have exhausted all efforts as to why the hell I have no sound.

9. Jesse Blacklow

Okay, I think I might see where your problem is. I'll quote you to make sure I'm understanding you right.

10. Michael Webb

Jesse, just read your quote, am in the process of trying it all. One more thing, I do have a optical cable, going from the receiver to the dvd player, but was under the assumption you must also have a standard red/white audio cable connecting the two also, since not all audio signals are digital? Man, I'm going in deep know, got to looking at all the settings on the RP-82, PCM, dynamic range compression, damn I need to go to the dvd forum and look this stuff up! Thanks for the help, I'll see if all works.

11. Michael Webb

Jesse, just read your quote, am in the process of trying it all. One more thing, I do have a optical cable, going from the receiver to the dvd player, but was under the assumption you must also have a standard red/white audio cable connecting the two also, since not all audio signals are digital? Man, I'm going in deep know, got to looking at all the settings on the RP-82, PCM, dynamic range compression, damn I need to go to the dvd forum and look this stuff up! Thanks for the help, I'll see if all works.

10 minutes later, well I'll be damned, I think I must have just over done something. I left all my connection the same, and instead of running the red/white audio cable into the receiver, and then out, I just ran it straight to the television, and bingo, I got sound, but obviously the receiver won't control the volume. Now my question, your saying there isn't a simple way to run audio from the dvd to the receiver to the tv?

12. Sonnyc

Sonnyc Extra

I don't think it'll work the way that you wanted.

You want:

-DVD digital out or analog out to the receiver Input
    -Receiver audio output to TV audio input (I'm not sure if the 320 has Audio Out, have to check mine).
    -You don't have any other speakers connect to the 320.

I don't think this will work. The receiver can not output the audio into the TV input (the red and white ones). You'll need external speakers connect to the receiver to hear anything.

You have no choice but to connect the DVD Video out to TV Video Input, then connect DVD Audio (digital or analog) to TV Audio Input. Don't use the 320.

When you get some speakers then hook it up to the 320.

Hope this helps.

13. Jesse Blacklow

Sorry for the delay, the site was down.

As of now, no. My 2nd method would work, but I wouldn't be able to tell you if the channels are amplified or not, which if they are, could have a detrimental effect on your TV speakers. Using a receiver as just a switching station is pretty much a waste, especially a nice one like the 320. Just use straight connections from DVD to TV for right now.

14. Michael Webb

Thanks for all the help, the electronics bug has captured me, so I must go fork out some dough on a set of JBL ND-310's to at least give me some 2 channel surround sound until I feel like getting the rest of the deal. Planning on N26II for the back, N-center for the front, and just the 310 for the front surround(will be doing lots of music listening also through my computer thanks to mr. kazaa). Thanks again all, its my first receiver, so as always I have/had lots of questions.

15. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Ok you do need to have both an optical cable and a set of analog cables hook into your reciever for one channel the receiver can only reconize one at a time and you set that up under you osd. You do this by selecting that you are using the hit the OSD selector the first list on you menu will be in/out setup let that one it will say something like this.
    input :video3
    digtial in [​IMG]pitcal2
    Coaxial 3: in out
    What you want to look at is the digtial in you want to look at the back of your receiver and check to see where you have you dvd audio connected to then change that setting to match.
    Also componet out to you TV will not produce sound on your TV only video you have to have an audio cable conected to your TV also. It will most likely be the 2 red and white analog cables since most TV do not produce digital sound.
    Hope this helps