What's new

Help, hissing/buzzing sound from my speakers (1 Viewer)

Martin U

Auditioning
I have just bought a new budget range dvd home theatre system.

I notice that there is a hissing/buzzing sound coming from all the 5 satellite speakers and the subwoofer. I wouldn't notice it unless I hold the speakers to my ears, but the sound from the subwoofer is more audible even about 1 ft away.

This sound is present the moment the player is switched on. At standby mode, they are quiet though. But once powered on, even if not playing any disc, there is that humming/hissing sound. It does get a little louder as the player is swtiched on longer. Whether is playing vcd, audio cd, or dvd or just the fm tuner, the sound is there. Most of the time, the music is enough to drown the sound but if I move nearer to the subwoofer, i can hear it.

I've tried disconnecting everything and resetting up again, but the sound is still there. I'm clueless as to what to do. I even disconnect from tv and shift the set to another place in the house, still the same.

Can anyone suggest what to do? Bythe way, the brand is Shinco. Would appreciate any help.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the other post with this same subject. The buzz you hear is normal but a higher quality system (or sometimes a different brand) might give you "cleaner" power and decrease or even eliminate the buzz.

Martin U

Auditioning
my apologies. am new here and rather desperate. i've now done a search and read quite a bit. but this means i have to live with that noise (it's not really that bad if I don't pay attention to it tho)?

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Martin,

I would recommend that you disconnect the cable (for the TV) completely and see if it gets rid of that noise. I have that problem with my cable, so when I'm not watching TV, I always make sure to disconnect it, otherwise, I'll hear that buzzing sound even while watching a DVD or listening to music.

Mike Co

Agent
IMHO it sounds like a ground loop, as 60 Hz would be heard at a greater level out of the sub. Check each cable (disconnect and re-connect) one at a time to find if there is a bad cable-specifically RCA's. If it's not a cable, you might return it.

Martin U

Auditioning
been playing around, and getting real tired now.

there was a time, when I moved the whole set to another place, and I set up the system piece by piece. First I plugged in the subwoofer to the player, no hissing sound. Next I plugged in one of the speakers, no sound. Then I plugged in another speaker, still no sound. I thought, hurrah, problem solved.

Then when I plugged in the 3rd speaker, that irritating sound was back again. But when I removed this 3rd speaker, the sound remained. I started all over again, by removing everything and putting back piece by piece again, this time, no use. The irritating noise was there again.

Arrgh, I give up now. :angry:

Martin U

Auditioning
it's a 5.1 dvd home theater system. It is one package. The player can do dvd, vcd, audio cd, cdr. It also has fm tuner. There is a subwoofer and 5 satellite speakers. the sub and speakers have no power on their own, they draw their power from the player.

Keith AP

Grip
Martin,

It's worth mentioning...if you have dimmer switches in your house...it might be related.

I get buzzing out of my system when the dimmers are on, whether in the theater or upstairs in the kitchen. The level of buzzing is related to the setting on the dimmer. If the dimmer is off, no buzz.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Martin,
One of my friends just told me that he reduced the hissing he had by plugging the system into a different circuit and also using a power strip/surge suppressor.

kamransethi

Auditioning
Real Name
Kamran Sethi
This may be a problem with the DVD player my friend. I have an all in one too. I got sick of the HUM, it was there even when the volume was ZERO. :eek: It's a design problem. I opened up the damn thing and saw that 2 of the capacitors were thick, and heated :rolleyes:. These folks had used 24V capacitors, when the circuit was also 24V. I changed the capacitors and the thing is better now. It's not well designed at all.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks