HELP! HD A1 video is stretched. HELP!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Cypher204, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Cypher204

Cypher204 Auditioning

Hey everyone.

I jumped on the HD DVD side of this war about a month ago. And I have to say it's truly sweet. Especially projected onto a 90'' screen. Anyone out there with a HD player really should think about getting a projector. So big, and still so clear with colors ever so rich. Anywho. On to my only problem. Stretch!!

As amazing the picture looks I'm getting this weird stretch on anything coming out the HD A1. All imputes. It's the length (from top to bottom) the image makes everything seem skinny and tall. Before getting the HD player I was using the Sony Upconverting HDMI Player(listed below) and there was no problem with stretch. Only when using the HD player do I get this. Now my projector has DVI, no HDMI connection. I know theres been some issues with that hook up. And firmwares to fix it but so far I'm up to 2.0 and the problem still hasn't gone away. I also can say it's not a problem with the HD player. I've tried it on other 16:9 t.v.'s in my home/Best Buy and no stretch. Just seems to happen when connected to my projector. I've been on the phone with toshiba for weeks and they haven't been able to help. It's not a 16:9 setting or screen setup issue. I've played with all of those. I just want to get this fixed and enjoy HD in it's proper ratio. (Oh, and yes, it's everything, from HD DVD's to normal DVD, everything gets stretched). sorry about the long read, just wanted to cove everything. Please help. Thanks.

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    what setting for screen size do you have the player set on

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    ... and the same question for the projector. [​IMG]

Especially the number of vertical lines seems important here.

Cees

4. mfabien

mfabien Stunt Coordinator

The projector settings could be examined. I read the following:

"The MT200 only has three aspect ratio options available. "Full" will display a 16:9 or wider image correctly, and stretch a 4:3 image to fit the frame horizontally. "4:3" mode presents a 4:3 image in pillarboxed format in the center of the frame. Finally, "Zoom" mode expands a 4:3 signal horizontally and vertically to fill the 16:9 frame, cutting off the top and bottom areas of the image in the process."

From review at:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/toshiba_mt200.htm

5. Cypher204

Cypher204 Auditioning

sorry guys, been outta town.

Okay, I've got the HD player outputting 1080i. I'd do 1080p, but the HD A1 can't ouput that. The 1st player I was using (the SONY Upconverting HDMI) output 1080p and everything looked fine. Maybe my projector doesn't work with the 1080i signal too well? Could that be it? I don't know? Just throwing it out there.

To answer the other questions the projectors native resolution is 854 x 480 pixels and has no problem supporting HD content (720p, 1080p, as it says in the manual) at least no problem with the last player. And last one, it's not the aspect ratio setting on the projector. I've played with all those and it's set to the proper one, 16:9.

6. Cypher204

Cypher204 Auditioning

sorry guys, just a quick correction to my last post. I took another look at the old Sony HDMI upconverting player and I was wrong, the player only output 1080i not 1080p. So it's outputting the same as the HD A1. So I guess it's not that problem. Hmmmm??

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    If your projector can only do 480 *real* vertical lines, it has to downconvert any signal with a higher resolution. So there might be the problem. Of course it's difficult for us to tell what your previous player did output (and which went fine).

I think you really need to study the manual of your projector thoroughly, to know what it can be fed and what it expects of the incoming signal.

Cees

8. Cypher204

Cypher204 Auditioning

well, the thing is, the last dvd player was outputting the same signal. 1080i. and there was no stretch. If my projector doesn't handle properly anything higher then 480 why was there no problem with the last sony upconverting player?

Why am I getting werid video using the Toshiba HD? If both player are outputting the same, you'd think they'd both look the same on the screen.

thanks agian.

9. RobertDW

RobertDW Stunt Coordinator

Just a guess but in setup on the HD-A1 you should set the "TV Type" to 16:9.

10. Cypher204

Cypher204 Auditioning

yep, it's not that. 16:9 mode is set.

11. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    True, so we can agree that both signals are *not* exactly the same, somehow.
    Now the trick is to find out the difference.... There must be a difference.

Cees

12. Cypher204

Cypher204 Auditioning

okay, so how do we find out the difference?

13. mfabien

mfabien Stunt Coordinator

Call Toshiba to review your Toshiba projector setup.

14. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    As a test, if you set the HD-A1 to 4:3, does the image look normal then (x vs y)? Is it cropped? Or is it actually normal?

BTW, are there black side-bars on your image (the stretched image) now?

Cees