What's new

Help! Having problems painting! (1 Viewer)

Chris White

Second Unit
We're trying to paint our Toshiba tv black and having major problems with a large plastic piece. As you can see in this picture, the left speaker grille has been removed. The piece I'm referring to is in the middle below the screen.
tv12s.jpg

We first tried to use spray paint, but it was streaky so we used a Kilz (oil based) primer. After the primer, we again tried Krylon Spray Paint (enamel?), which is supposed to be "ideal for plastic."
Either this spray paint doesn't work well on plastic or we just got a bad batch because it spits and bubbles and streaks and just isn't a smooth finish.
Next, we tried a very light sanding followed by a coat of poly urethane. That didn't help either. We're now waiting for the poly urethane to dry so we can sand it off.
At this point, we're thinking we need to either try another brand of spray paint or perhaps an oil-based paint.
Any suggestions?
------------------
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/theater.htm

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
I think you are on the right track with the oil base thing- finish compatability is a bear. The Kilz website says oil or latex over Kilz (assuming you got the Kilz original).
I'd say keep trying different formulations of spray paint, or talk to the paint store guy and see if he can steer you right.
In the future, you might try Bin, which is shellac based, and compatible with just about anything except polyurethane.
Markd

Mac F

Agent
since it is a fairly small area, you might try the small bottles of paint intended for model airplanes. Michael's and Hobby Lobby are good sources, otherwise look in the yellow pages under 'hobbies' or 'model airplanes'
the hobby shop will also have small spray guns powered by canned compressed air, various price ranges

Chris White

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. My wife did some research yesterday morning. First, she checked with Kilz (the primer manufacturer) and was told that it shouldn't really matter what paint we use because the paint only has to bond with and cover the primer, not the underlying plastic. This makes sense to me. One other piece we primed and painted turned out perfect.
The folks at the paint store told her the problem was bad paint cans (the spitting problem). They also suggesed a satin finish acrylic latex rather than a high gloss finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks