Help have a Sony DE- need new receiver!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleGS, Feb 26, 2002.

1. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I currnently have the Sony DE-8?5...It has DTS and DD and puts out around 100x5 (or so it claims). I can hear the hiss of distrotion on the 5ch modes of this receiver. I know it is not up to par with the higher end receivers. I would like a new receiver with DTS and DD but I don't need the new 6 ch setup. Just good 'ole 5.1 will do me fine. I just got back form Cir. City and listened to the HK AVR120 with only 50wpc in stereo and it sounded MUCH better than my 100wpc Sony DE. But it only has 40wx5 in 5.1 mode. I don't know if that will cut it for me. I have been looking at the Denon 1802 b/c it has better power (80wpc) and has pre amp outs for adding a Yammy M85 later for stereo [​IMG]. I would like to spend around 350.00 (new-internet price) on a high quality receiver that sounds great in stereo and HT. Everything I see just doesn't seem to have everything the Denon has like the power and the preamp outs. What else should I look at and how does the build quality of the Denon compare to the Onkyo's, Yammies, HK's, etc....? Thanks for helping a young newbie out!

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Stick with the Denon. I own H/K but for your situation as described you won't do any better. Maybe some Yammy owners will chime in?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd say just go with the 1802 also. I went with Marantz (SR6200) because I prefer their sound for music, but you should be just fine with the 1802.

4. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Thanks! You guys are fast...Anyone have any suggestions on reliable yet cheap online stores? I know I can't get a warranty or repair but I really want some high end equipment and besides ... I have to put myself through Pharmacy school. [​IMG]

5. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I'm also in the research mode. The new Yammie's should be out in a few weeks. I wanted to buy last month but most people said "wait and see" how much power and options will be on the new Yamaha line. Might be worth the wait to audition one!

6. Kris Burson

Kris Burson Auditioning

Speaking of the Yamaha receivers, does anyone still have a link to the press release describing the new receivers? I'd appreciate it, since the thread that had the info was lost in the server crash.

Thanks.