Help guys...Need 40 ft white sub cable....

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Ian C, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

I would need this to be of good quality since its such a long run, but, of course, want to pay as little as possible.

Where to look? So far, the best deal I've seen has been for a 40 foot Belden 1694 at bluejeanscable.com for $30. Is this good enough for that long of a run?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

overkill even, but getting white sub cables is not such an easy thing to do and being that it's a bit of a longish length, the quad shielding is a good idea. drawbacks of this cable would be that it might be a bit stiff seeing that the center conductor is a single piece of copper wire. For improved flexibility, you could look for stranded center conductors in either an RG6 or RG59, the latter probably being the most flexible.
    you could also consider looking in your yellow pages to see if there are any pro shops that could hook you up.

3. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I would need it to be flexible too (going up over a door). It doesn't have to be white, however, if I can think of something to either wrap it in or run it through...I could swear I saw something just for this purpose, but can't remember where. It would also help to hide the rest of my speaker cables already in place.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well why don't you give them a call and tell them what you're looking for and explain your concerns. they might have something that'll fit the bill. if not just post back here and we'll see what we can dig up.

5. Matt_Doug

Matt_Doug Stunt Coordinator

www.wirecare.com sells heatshrink in many different colors. but you also need to get a Hot air gun to shrink the heatshrink and they're not cheap.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Basic heat guns are about $25 from eBay - not a huge investment.

7. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Well, I wound up ordering the Canare 77s (?) from bluejeanscable.com. It's very flexible and I'm not getting any humming or anything, so this worked well for me.

8. George Conti

George Conti Extra

Since sub signals are low frequency they are easier to transmit over longer distances than higher frequency signals for mains or surround speakers.

So get a shielded cable but don't go crazy you just wont hear a differrence. And if you want to get 2 or three shorter cables and connect them to make a longer cable that will work as well. A high performance cable is just not needed here.