Help. Good news, New TV. Bad news...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Simon Skedd, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Simon Skedd

Simon Skedd Auditioning

can't find suitable furniture.

I get the green light from my wife today to go off and buy a new TV. (She saw an episode of ER in Hi-Def and was hooked) Wa-Ha-Ha ; )

After selling her on the new Sony GWIII LCD she tells me "that's fine, but I want you to get rid of that thing you keep your toys in and replace it with a nice piece of furniture". (I have a crappy fake wood av cabinet where I keep my amp, DVD player, Xbox, PS2, Cube etc).
    "oh, and no fake wood this time, or glass, or metal."
    Hurumph. Talk about a freakin mission. I've been looking all over the net for something to place a 50" TV on that doesn't have metal,glass is made of real wood, I can hide all my toys in, AND is about $500. All I have to spend at this time.

If anyone can help I'd be very gratefull. It's all that's stopping me from entering 16:9 Hi-Def bliss.

Cheers,
    Si.
    Oh, and this'd be perfect. If it was $500 cheaper, wooden doors instead of glass, no metal legs....
    http://www.bello.com/AV/avsc-2500.asp

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

How about less than $200...Ok, so some of them are particleboard with veneer, but they are inexpensive!

At least the Husar is 100% Pine, get the height Extension for a total of 4 shelves maybe?

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/s...89&cattype=sub

I think you are going to have a tough time finding anything made out of real wood for under $500. Nice entertainment furniture is way overpriced nowadays.

3. Simon Skedd

Simon Skedd Auditioning

Thanks a bunch guys for the suggestions. I never even thought of Target. I think I may have found something there too, and it's under $500. Not exacatly "real" wood. But I'm going to say it's a transition piece and try to find someone locally who can perhaps build me/us the desired unit.

On the flip side, I did visit my local Ultimate Electronics store last night and they have 6 GWs in stock, so I may get my new TV for Monday night football yet.
    I have to admit though, and I assume it's down to their feed/system setup the picture quality on HDnet didn't exactly blow me away. I'm counting on Avia and a better feed at home to make up for it.

Go Steelers.

4. DennisF

DennisF Extra

Buy a used bedroom dresser. Take out the drawers and punch holes in the back. Set the TV on top. Components where the drawers used to be. Instant WAF.

Cherry is a nice color.

[​IMG]

5. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

If you have an unfinished furniture store in your town, you can pick up really nice wood furniture for about half the price of a furniture store. Plus you get the fun of finishing the piece yourself. Basically, everything in our house is either antique and bought at auction, or unfinished prior to our purchase.

Hint. Lots of coats of poly if you are going to put heavy metal items on it.