1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Good computer speakers needed for cheap!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Wayne A. Pflughaupt, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Okay, my dream computer speakers are the powered Swans, but until I can afford those I need something to get me by!

So – what can you recommend as some nice-sounding speakers for $50 or less? A headphone jack in front would be nice.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
  3. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

I've got a pair of Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers going for about 100 Canadian. Not bad if you ask me.

4. Kelvin Tucker

Kelvin Tucker Stunt Coordinator

Wayne,

A lot of questions pop up that would prevent you from getting a good answer.

Like:
    What sound card are you trying to match the speakers with?
    Do you want Analog or Digital?
    If Digital, Optical or Coax?
    Stereo 2 channel, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1,?

And most importantly -
    What are you going to be listening to? (Jazz, DVD's, Classical)
    Do you have trained audiophile ears, or (like me) can't tell the difference between a C-Sharp and a C-Flat?

KT

Kinda like Jonny, I have some ATP-5s that I use with a Soundblaster 5.1 card. And while there are LOTS of differing opinions around, I like the way Altec Lansings sound. But, you won't find these being sold anymore except on Ebay or something.

5. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Wayne,
    You may want to give these a look. They are $39.99 but sound pretty good. I have them in my kid's room for their PC. Some of my co-workers actually hook them up to their portable CD players at work for a mini 2 channel set up. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong. They don't have an input for headphones but I think you can buy a "splitter" for that.

6. C. Stewart Weaver

C. Stewart Weaver Auditioning

Wayne,

If you're not afraid of ebay, do a search on Boston Acoustics, in the computer section. Boston makes some very nice PC speakers. Look for either the BA635 or the BA735 models. The 635 has an analog only input, while the 735 uses a rca spdif digital only input. Both sets sound very nice, and can be found for under 20 bucks!

Good luck,

Stimpy

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Thanks for the heads-up, Kevin. I was wondering why the responses were so sparse. [​IMG] Truth is, I’m an idiot at computer stuff and didn’t know there were digital connections for speakers!

Not sure about the sound card, probably a cheap Soundblaster. The current speakers connect with an analog 1/8” mini plug. As for my ears, I’d say they’re closer to “trained audiophile” than “can’t tell a C-sharp from a B flat.” [​IMG]

Thanks Mark, Stewart and Jonny for the recommendations. I’ll look into them. The Cambridge really look attractive, since they’re manufacturer direct – more bang for the buck. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

When I started looking for PC speakers, this site helped me a lot: 3D Sound Surge

If I remember I think they review speakers at many different price points - not just the high end stuff.

- bones