What's new

help, going to buy a tv this weekend. (1 Viewer)

paul e.

Agent
hello all, i'm new here so take it easy on me. i'm going to be purchasing a t.v. saturday, i'm looking for a 55-57 inch 16:9 rear projection set. my budget is between 2000.00 and 2700.00 i'll be shopping at bestbuy and circuit city. i know i need to check out how the set displays 4:3 sources, but what else are some important things to check for? this t.v. will be my primary set, picture quality is a must sound is'nt as important. if anyone has any advice on paticular models to look for/avoid i would sure appreciate it, thanks paul. p.s. i'm looking for high def.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Paul,
Check BB and CC for Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi, but also find somewhere that carries Mitsubishi -- Sears, for example, and take a look at them. I like Mitsu TVs, maybe you will too. And don't be afraid to drop in to a higher-end store and see what they have... you'll often find step-up models the big stores don't carry (or aren't authorized to), that you might like better. That price range is very good for a 55-57" set, you should be able to find a good TV for that amount from any of the major brands... I'd look at Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi, Mitsu, Panasonic, Pioneer, and Samsung. You might even be able to get a progressive scan DVD player squeezed into that price range, too.

Some things to focus on: ask to see how each TV stretches 4:3 images, and see which brand does it most to your liking... each brand of TV does this, but in different ways. All of them distort the picture in some way, but one brand's method might be less distracting to you than another's.

Make sure the TVs you're comparing are on a regular, cable-TV type signal, and not an HD or DVD feed. Why? Because all TVs look good on an HD feed, but some look better than others on the standard cable/satellite feeds that most of us get in our homes. You want to asses the TVs performance on a signal similar to what you'll actually have the TV plugged into at home.

Also make note of how each TV allows the user to converge the picture... convergence is how the red, blue, and green projectors align to create a clear, focused image. Some brands do this automatically, others allow you to converge it manually at one central point, or at the four corners of the screen. The better TVs allow you to manually converge it at numerous points. Personally, I'm a fan of the multi-point manual convergence rather than the automatic... I think you get a better result that way, particularly as the TV ages.

Finally, it sounds dumb, but pick the one that looks the best to you. Let a salesperson explain the differences in features, warranties, etc., but don't let him/her tell you which one looks better... that's up to you. Ask the salesperson to adjust the TVs you are comparing so that brightness, contrast, etc. are about the same, then decide which picture looks the best!

One more thing: any salesperson doing his/her job will try to sell you an extended plan of some sort. On a big screen TV these are a good idea, but make sure it's in-home service, know exactly what's covered and what isn't (a good warranty will cover everything but external, physical, or abuse-type damage), and verify that it is a repair-or-replace coverage. Many of the big chains' warranties give the store the option of refunding the cost of the waranty to you, rather than doing an expensive repair. Doesn't happen often, but look out for it. Typically the cost of a warranty should be right around 10% of the cost of the TV. If you're offered a warranty that sounds good to you, see what better price they'll give you on the TV if you buy it with the warranty.

Hope this helps...good luck!

KeirW

Auditioning
I did some research before buying my Mitsubishi WS-65809, it is being delivered this weekend. Mits is a good brand because they offer a "promise" that any enhancements/changes to HDTV, they will offer an outboard device that can connect to the set to protect it from being made obsolete by new technology. THis futire proofing is important to me because of the changes that will certainly come about in the next few years. Most of the experts I have read about "highly recommend" the Mitsubishi brand. No matter the set you buy, make sure to buy the AVIA calibration DVD or the Sound & Vision Home theater tune up DVD. The S&V is a little cheaper and they carry them at Borders Books, or similiar stores.
Good luck, have fun shopping

Keir

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Take a careful look at the Mitsubishi line. If I had gone with an RPTV there is little doubt that I would have got one of their models. I've also heard that they calibrate well if you ever have an ISF calibration done.

paul e.

Agent
o.k. guys, a couple more dumb questions. first off, i have a ps2 an x-box and a gamecube, i know that years ago it was a major no-no to play games on projection sets, has that changed? and would h.d. make these games look better?

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
The X-Box is capable of progressive scan with games, if the game supports it. Most (if not all) don't. Other than that, you'd see no difference.

I cannot comment on your other question.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMHO I would look at the Mitusubishi or Pioneer Elite RPTV's, some of the Toshiba's and Hitachi's are nice as well but do not seem to be as good as the Mitsu's and Pioneer sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks