help getting video card to control sat

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Craig Aguiar, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Craig Aguiar

Craig Aguiar Stunt Coordinator

Hey all. i'm having a cpu built that has a radeon 9800xt video card. It has tivo like features but i don't use cable. Is there something i can do to get it to output to an ir blaster that would control my sat receiver?

Thanks

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I have messed around with using an IR sender myself, but I keep running into the problem that the computer can't tell if the IR signal didn't go through for whatever reason and as a result have had to settle on using the auto-tune feature of my DirectTV box.

Some boxs have an rs232 port on them which would allow a direct connection, but the big problem you run into there is that few boxes have the service information available and those that do would most likely require you to write the interface software yourself.

3. Craig Aguiar

My box is Express Vu (echostar). I don't beleive it has an auto tune feature. What did you do to get an ir blaster to work, ie, what interface or product or whatever, and the software or set up to get it to output according to the channel you want?

Thanks Craig

4. Matt Wright

Matt Wright Stunt Coordinator

Controlling a set-top box via an IR blaster is very common setup. What PVR software were you going to use? I gather you mean you have an All-in-Wonder Radeon, while that isn't the most optimal of devices to use for PVR due to the fact all the heavy lifting of recording is done by your CPU it will suffice. One of the only PVR packages that supports the All-in-Wonder is SnapStream's BeyondTV.

5. Craig Aguiar

I don't have it yet as it is being built so I guess I'll have what ever software it comes with. Yes it is the Radeon All In Wonder. Should I use the program that you mentioned in your previous reply? and if so, what do i need to do to get an IR blaster working with it?

Thanks again
    Craig

6. Craig Aguiar

I was looking at IR blasters that are available for this software. I have an existing Xantec IR repeater system that I want to join this system into. Do you know of an adaptor to use with that instead of a blaster, or can I cut the blaster off of the cable and wire right into my system?

Thanks