Help getting rid of "messenger service" popups!..

Discussion in 'Computers' started by todd s, Jan 15, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I keep getting those annoying "messaging service" popups. I know it has to do with Windows XP and AOL dial-up. I heard their is a way to prevent them. Can anyone tell me how to do it?

Thanks!

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Michael,

I tried that. I used the "messenger service" and "any date" in the computer forum and came back with sorry no results.

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Todd, like Mike, I remember this subject appearing about 15 times in the past few months. May a 10000 curses rain down on Bill Gates' head [​IMG]

I think if you just type Messenger i n the search box at the top of the computer forum page, but select the Normal, or Slower, mode, you'll start to see them

Good luck

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=147133

I guess that is the official one since it's Ron who asked how to get rid of it.

On a plus side, my girfriend just got a laptop from Dell and I was happy to see this function was already disabled. Looks like they FINALLY got around to doing that.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I remember hearing that someone or group was suing Microsoft and the companies that send the ads. Besides it being annoying. One of the popups is a nude woman done with alphanumerical characters. I would be very upset if my kids were on the computer and that came up.

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Start-programs-administrative tools-service-scroll and then double click on "messenger"- change "startup type" to disabled- okay-okay

all done.

Brent

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer