What's new

Help getting online coupons (1 Viewer)

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I've been trying to get coupons for buy.com from various sites. Every time I click the link, I get an error message "This page cannot be displayed"
I'm using IE6 by the way. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

DaveNel

Second Unit
Hello this may help:

Go to the start ,settings, control panel, then click add remove programs,

scroll down the list and find microsoft internet explorer 6, Click on it, Then click on add remove, A box will pop up, Add a component, Repair, or Restore previous configuration.

Click on repair, That will and should fix it for you.

Dont click on restore previous, That will take you back to where you are now. Then the repair side wont work.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I went to the start menu but "settings" wasn't there.
I did see control panel and clicked add remove programs - but microsoft IE wasn't listed there. It is listed in the Start - All Programs menu list.

What's strange about this is I can get to many links just not the one I want.

DaveNel

Second Unit
OK try this to repair it.

Go to start menu, Go to find, type in ie6setup.exe And hit enter, After the search is done click on ie6setup.exe, make sure you have internet access before you click on that, click on ie6setup.exe and it will
redo your complete internet explorer setup..

DaveNel

Second Unit
Thats 2 of the easiest fixes I know about IE, Usually doing either of the 2 takes care of most of the IE problems..

DaveNel

Second Unit
OK do a file search for the above mentioned file, Then just follow the instructions after you click on it.

That should redo Internet explorer for you.

DaveNel

Second Unit
OK heres another way, do a right click on your internet explorer, go to properties, find out the location of it. It should be in that directory..

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Rename your hosts file to host.tmp. It's probably here:

c:windowssystem32driversetchosts

Then, reboot.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advise. For some reason I can't seem to get to either place. Guess I'll have to just give up.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
First, open up a folder, any folder.

Click on Tools -> Folder Options
Click on the "View" tab
Click on "Show hidden files and folders"

You should now be able to see those hidden folders and get to your hosts file.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I decided to download the Firefox browser to see if that would work. It doesn't give me a PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED message.
It does give me CONNECTION WAS REFUSED WHEN ATTEMPTING TO CONTACT click.linksynergy.com

I emailed the good people at Spybot Search and Destroy, thinking maybe their program was causing the problem.
They emailed back the next day saying they didn't believe their program was the problem and sent me 2 links from the Douglas Knox site with very small files to install to fix the problem. I did, they didn't.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
Problem was easily solved.
I went into Spybot's advanced mode. There is a selection to view Host files.
I went down the long list and found one labeled CLICK.LINKSYNERGY.COM
All I had to do was click on it and then click on delete selected. I did this, then went to coupon sites and had no problems.
IE's error message was no help but Firefox's because it gave me an actual name to look for ended up being helpfull thus downloading it was worth the time it took.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks