What's new

Help getting old Sony reciever to work in Stereo (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Alright. I'm at my parents house now, trying to hook up their old equipment. It consists of an old (Don't know MN, circa 1990) Sony reciever, and a pair of kickass Polk Floorstanders. Anyway...I can only seem to get the damn thing to work in mono. I hooked everything up, like I've done a dozen times before...and nada. I tried playing a CD and listening through my headphones on the CD Player...stereo all the way, but when I go through the reciever, nada. I found the old manual, and it says that the stereo light should go on when a stereo source is playing...but I can't even get it to come on on the tuner.

Any ideas...any guru's out there who see the error of my ways?

Thx.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The stereo light only goes on when receiving an FM Stereo station, and you don't have the tuner set to "mono". Any external stereo sources should play in stereo--you can verify this by disconnecting one of the RCA cables between your CD player and the receiver and see if you get sound from just one speaker.

Is this receiver a Dolby ProLogic or Dolby Surround receiver? Make sure surround is turned off and any bells & whistles are turned off so you get plain stereo. Also, some older receivers have a "mono" button on them that mono-izes all sources, not just the tuner (newer receivers only disable the stereo decoding in the tuner with this button). Make sure this "mono" button if it exists isn't enagaged.

KJP

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Okay, there is no mono button...but there is an "FM Mode" button that switches to "Mono" if I'm listening to an FM station. If I turn that and the "Surround" button off...it still doesn't play anything in stereo. I've tried Tapes, CDs, and Radio....still, Nada. I switched the speakers...and sure enough, it is only playing out of the left chan regardless...so I'm sure it isn't the speakers. This is just a Stereo reciever...not Dolby Surround or DPL.

I'm gonna screw around with it more now, but if you can think of anything else, I would appreciate it.

Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks