What's new

Help getting headphones to use with Pioneer VSX 1016 (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys,

I want to watch movies at night without waking up the kids. I really won't do this often since I think it really defeats the purposes of an Amp, speakers and Sub.

However once in a while I want to use headphones to get as much impact (not necessarily loud) as possible without putting up volume.

First of all is it even possible to get clear channel separation (like 5.0) with headphones and this amp? Is it possible with any amp? I hear some have dolby headphones, does that mean you get 5.1 even on headphones?

I am not home and have never checked but I think my Pio 1016 has something like this right? Will it work or will I just get stereo?

DO I need special headphones?

SO basically what do you guys recommend? I do not need the top of the line but I am pretty picky so definitely need something that is fairly good. I am by no means an audiophile really or expert with a fine tuned ear but I can usually tell a 128 bit mp3 from a 320 kb.

I will NOT be using these for music but for TV and DVDs only. Since I am not close to the receiver I figure I might as well spend extra for wireless.

So what do the experts recommend?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I know my Yamaha has a "silent cinema" feature which claims to simulate surround through headphones. In practice, I found the DSP mode to be artificial and would revert back to stereo when using headphone (any headphone pair will work).

On the Pioneers, there is no specific mention of this type of feature in any of their literature that I could find.

As for wireless headphones, I've yet to find a pair that didn't suffer from static or interference. I keep going back to my trusty pair of corded Sennheiser HD280Pro's.

Rolando

Screenwriter
ha ha, thank Bril. Funny, I just finished telling someone they were the 2nd person to recommend Sennheiser and now this makes you #3.

Sad to hear all cordless you tested seemed to have trouble, I would have appreciated cordless.

Will have to test some.

Thanks again!

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Yeah, I like my Sennheiser's because they have very little sound leakage when worn. Another brand I liked was Grado for comfort and sound but significantly more sound leakage which is a problem for my sleeping 4 month old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks