Help getting great music

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kirk Elliott, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Kirk Elliott

Kirk Elliott Extra

I recently built a HT with VMPS speakers,(mains, centre and surrounds) Onkyo TX-DS797 receiver and DVCP500 dvd carousel. My sub is powered with an AMC 2100 amp. Movies are excellent...the implosion in Ocean's Eleven is the best! However music leaves much to be desired. I am Caribbean and reggae and Calypso are my line. Needless to say bass is key and hi's must be crisp. While I can tell that the music has the potential to be great it aint there right now. What must I add to my system to get crack and snap out of my music?

Thanks

Kirk

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Kirk,

I would suggest you first look at where your speakers are placed and follow the "general" rules of speaker placement.

1) Keep them away from any wall, especially walls on the sides. Pull them away from the wall behind them as well.

2) If you're not getting the impact you desire than get some more power via a power amp

3) If you're not getting the presentation of music before you than look to replace youre receiver with a good pre-amp.

But number one will do more wonders than the other two suggestions.

You may want to post the model of speakers as well. Home theater and music normally don't go together. For instance HT can sound great but music is terrible and vice versa. For impact and depth a good sub is another place to start.

3. Kirk Elliott

Kirk Elliott Extra