What's new

HELP! Get this Onkyo or Wait for This....???? (1 Viewer)

DavidMcG

Grip
Hey I am without any theater/dvd and want to get one (I had a cheap 300 dollar Aiwa HTiB that broke). I have been looking around and haven't been able to find anything good. All of the HTiB's have weird speaker connections or the speakers are sealed so that I can't use my own longer wire or upgrade. Also, the surrounds sound non-existant and the receiver/dvd's break easily. Anyway...

I was thinking about getting an Onkyo HTS-650 system which includes the TX-SR500 5.1 Receiver and the SKS-HT500 Speaker system/Sub for $300 and then buying a matching Onkyo DV-SP500 DVD player for $199. The HTS-650 is factory reconditioned direct from Onkyo and the DVD player would be brand new from Crutchfield. This way I could be buying a big bulky and better quality and upgradeable system rather than a cheap HTiB. If I purchased the same system from Circuit City it would be $499 for the HTS-650 and $250 for the DV-SP500 which is $750 total while I'd only be paying $500 from the places I am getting it. ($250 difference!)

My Question is...should I do this and get a factory reconditioned model that is tested by Onkyo or should I wait for the new HTiB's that are coming out later this year and might be more money for a less quality product but be more ergonomic, compact, and easier to use? Pioneer is coming out w/ a 330DV, 430DV, 530DV and wireless 630DV but I don't know if they even have a sub pre-out or at least spring clip speaker attachments which are a minimum requirement for me (some of the current pioneer's don't have these for $600 bucks!). Factory reconditioned worries me but if I get the products and they don't work, they will pay for me to ship them back and exchange it. Also, I can buy extended warranties for everything for $80 which equals 3 years. And another thing I could do is buy the same speaker system from Circuit City new and return my reconditioned product to Circuit City even though that's kinda shady. So should I get this Onkyo system even though the model was released last year and Onkyo is coming out w/ new stuff and it is refurbished or should I get something else now that you would recommend or should I wait for new models coming out and do you have any in mind? I would just wait til new stuff comes out and then decide but Onkyo and Circuit City and Crutchfield might not still have the system at the same price or it may just not be available w/ the new models coming out. Thanks!

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased the SKS-HT500 speaker set from Onkyo reconditioned for $180 (sold at CC for $300) and they came with a sticker on each speaker saying that they had minor cosmetic defects (which I couldn't find) and they sound absolutely fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to buy reconditioned from Onkyo.

Jeremy:L

Agent
Whatever you do, don't pull any shady deals on Circuit City. Too much stuff like that and we can kiss their liberal return policy goodbye.

I think you'll find that most people would say the Onkyo package is far better than any of the other HTIB's. If you really can get all that for $500 than there is no question. And I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy the refurbs from Onkyo's website.

DavidMcG

Grip
wow that is great news. just what i needed was "that is great do it" haha. i am pretty sure i am going to get them then but boy is that a big investment. i'll probably go to circuit city and look at the receiver one more time and don't worry i won't pull the shady thing at circuit city it was just a thought to throw out.

i just really hope right after i get these that something perfect for me doesn't come out in may like pioneer or someone might do. i like the fancy, flashy ergonomic stuff but hopefully this time getting more of a quality type of component system that's big and bulky and a year old will be better for me.

the only thing is is there anything else i should consider instead? should i not bother buying the extended warranties through onkyo? i'm a little hesistant b/c usually i buy from bestbuy and get the extended warranty for assurance but i can't really do that w/ onkyo you know?

here are 2 more finds...
yamaha system on sale http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_14778.htm

(this is a little too pricey for me but some of the cheaper yamaha's i can afford - the onkyo is better right?)

denon dht-700 http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...sp?dpno=103499 (its denon but refurbished and might not be as good as the onkyo right?)

Oh I hope I'm making the right decision w/ the onkyo. I heard that there was a 5.1 lfe channel defect in the receiver so I hope I don't get one of those problem receivers where it isn't actually 5.1 channels. Thanks for your help everyone!

Agent
I don't know how much reading you've done, but the Onkyo system is really considered a "diamond in the rough" when it comes to HTIB's. Since it's so cheap, I would spring for the warranty just for the heck of it. It may be a little less convenient than Best Buy if you ever need to use it, but Onkyo has excellent customer service. They've corrected the LFE bug, but if you get a bad receiver, you should be able to just take it in to one of the approved repair shops and get it fixed for free. That won't happen though, since you're getting it direct from Onkyo.

The Yamaha system probably isn't bad, but the only part of the system that is outstanding is the receiver. With the Onkyo you're getting a great receiver and great speakers (the sub alone would be worth getting the Onkyo over the Yamaha). Factor in the price, and it's a no-brainer IMO.

The Denon sub is only 5 1/4" and 35 watts. Nuff said...

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
ive read reviews online that refurbished 650 sets sent out by onkyo still had the bugs, this was before the bug was made widely known to the public though, and read a review on cnet that someone received blown speakers from ordering a refurbished speaker product form onkyo, not only that another poster here stated that the txr 600 and 700 reciever actually output less then half the wattage thats "listed" 80wx5=34x5 90wx5=38x5 continuous.

with the lfe bug and that cnet review, im a bit concerned about onkyos quality control,

"Update to: Terrible Main Speakers..." Eman on 25-Nov-2002 08:22:47 pm
I had to write back. After I wrote a scathing review of the main speakers, i bought some Cambridge Soundworks Model 6s to replace the mains. Wow! What a difference. BUT WAIT. The difference was so extreme that I pulled the grills off the onkyo's and put my ear directly on each tweeter. BLOWN. Both were blown! Supposedly factory refurbished - direct from onkyo and I got 2 blown mains. OK. So I can't tell you how they'll respond yet, but I have a feeling the mains will at least be decent with tweeters. Now - how an audio company missed blown speakers in their refurbish process is a little beyond me, but it shouldn't be held against the whole system's review. And note that SOMEONE blew the mains using the matched amplifier, so be careful.

cnet customer review

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron....top.9952795-1

Agent
not only that another poster here stated that the txr 600 and 700 reciever actually output less then half the wattage thats "listed" 80wx5=34x5 90wx5=38x5 continuous.
Keep in mind that this is probably pretty common with "entry level" receivers...

DavidMcG

Grip
ok so the only thing remaining...

should i get the Onkyo system w/ the DV-SP500 single DVD player or with the DV-CP500 5 disc changer? I've read some problems w/ the changer being noisy or not reading DVD's well but I haven't read anything about the single disc DVD player. Also, it looks like the SP500 single has an aluminum front and matches the receiver I'm buying better while the CP500 5disc changer is plastic front. I might have to buy the single disc anyway b/c it isn't as tall (the bigger one probly won't fit in my furniture), the remote looks more like the receiver remote, and the single has an RI remote compatibility with the receiver while the 5disc does not. Also, the SP500 has VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) while the CP500 does not but the CP500 plays Mpeg. The CP500 was 299 and the SP500 was 299 but I can get the CP500 for 169 refurbished or the SP500 brand new for 199 which tells me that since its a single disc it might be higher quality for the same price?

DV-CP500 5disc dvd changer

DV-SP500 single disc dvd

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David,

Quick question for you. Are you totally sold on a HTiB? Is this $500 bucks your using to buy this Onkyo money you have saved? Or money you have just laying around looking for something to do? I only ask because I'm not a huge HTiB fan. I recall you saying that you can't use your own speaker wire. Can you or can you not for this Onkyo HTiB? I would caution you on refurbs. Because they broke once....more than likely they will break again. My friendly advice is to save up your money. And buy a new nice reciever. If you like the Onkyo stuff then buy a new reciever. Then I would eather piece together your theater or save enough to buy everything at once. Anyone in this forum will tell you to go look at Paradigm. I heard a $550 pr of Paradigm yesterday that blew me away. I liked them more then my NHT's at home. But I never thought about Paradigm until I joined this website. So I you absolutly want a HTiB then I would spend the extra 250 and get it new. But if your a patient person I would take a yr or more and slowly put yourself together a bad azz theater. My first theater took me 2 yrs to do. And it was worth it. Good luck. Mike D

DavidMcG

Grip
i cannot spend more than 600 on the total system. its not a matter of saving money but at this point i cannot spend 600 bucks alone on paradigm, etc. i know that you may be able to spend more, but that is just not an option for me sorry. i don't need deafening sound or top audio quality, just good surround system to play dvd's on my 20" TV. In the future I might upgrade TV and upgrade theater but not now. The only way I can afford something other than a HTiB is if I get the refurbished Onkyo - otherwise its just a HTiB...

The thing is, there are TONS of refurbished DV-CP500's but no refurbed DV-SP500 single DVD players which is strange. Does anyone have the single disc and can recommend it? All I need is a single disc and as long as the DV-SP500 isn't horrible. Is the DV-SP500 much older than the CP500? It has an aluminum front, RI ability, and a couple of extra features that the CP500 doesn't have plus it is shorter and will fit in my bookcase better and I can buy it new (cuz DVD players break a lot) instead of refurbed like the CP500

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I would caution you on refurbs. Because they broke once....more than likely they will break again.
I don't think this is necessarily true. While I understand some people have an issue with refurbs I don't think becuase they broke once, they're necessarily prone to break again. I have a reburbed HK AVR 10 and an Advent sub and a coffee maker....
(coffee maker????...no, it's not part of my home theater :) ) I purchased from auctions and have never had problems with any of them. I also have a reburbed Infinity sub which has worked perfectly. But I certainly respect someone else's opinion if they've had problems.

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
rather than breaking again, i think the issue with refurbished items are with the companies quality control.

a lot of times refurbished means, test it once and if it works with no noticeable defections up front, repackage and resell, worry about it after the product is sold and if the buyer complains then worry about it. its about cutting your losses.

But.. whats going to happen if you buy a refurbed receiver that wasnt thuroughly tested? what happens if it frys your speakers? then what are you left with? the refurbed item isnt going to cover potential damage to other components.

rather then the equpment breaking again, the concern should be more on, the refurbed items continuous performance and the companies extensiveness in quality control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks