HELP - Garage door opener problem!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

When opening the garage door, instead of stopping automatically, the opener keeps going until the thing-a-ma-jig that rides on the rail slams into the main unit. It then becomes lodged against the main unit and can take 15-20 minutes (or more) of repeated button pushing to dislodge. I don't have the instruction manual because the opener was purchased and installed by the previous owner! I also searched sears.com and found nothing.

I have adjusted the up and down force on numerous occasions without luck. Could it be related to the tension of the chain???

Any suggestions appreciated... other than "buy a new one" unless that is absolutely necessary!

2. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

There definitely should be a sensor as to when to stop during both up and down operation, and it should be easily adjustable, as every installation is unique and requires certain amount of travel of the door.

The sensor is most likely magnetic, like security sensors on doors.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

usually screw drive openers use switches to shut the motor on and off, all the chain drive openers I've installed used an adjustable clutch, you should be able to pop the cover off the opener and adjust the clutch..

if all else fails buy a screw drive, they're smoother and quiters. I bought one last summer for less than 100 bucks

4. Dennis Reno

Philip - how would I adjust the clutch? Can you tell just by looking at it whether it needs to be tightened? Just curious as I have never done this before!

5. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

What Brand Opener is it??
    There should be a Micro-switch(small solid wire hanging down) at each end of the track? You want to check the one closest to the Main Drive unit. The switch may have loosened up and the tripping mechanisim isn't hitting the Micro-switch wire, and stopping the movement.
    If yours has this type of switch, just slide it forward(towards door) and try opening door again. Some Tweaking may be neccesary?
    * if you've adjusted the Up/Down force , then you've adjusted the Clutch.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

7. Dennis Reno

Doug - I will look into the micro-switch. Thanks for the recommendation.

Philip - I have spent an hour + playing with the up/down force. I have backed off the up force to a point where it no longer will open more than a few inches before stoping. Then I barely move it forward (the up force adjuster) and it still smacks into the drive unit!

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

9. Marianne

Marianne Supporting Actor

Sounds to me like the limit switch needs adjusting or replacing. The limit switch tells the door to stop at a certain point.