Help! Gamecube and PS2 and only 1 component input!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_C, May 4, 2002.

1. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

I need some advice. My tv only has 2 component inputs, and one is for my DVD player. I currently have my PS2 hooked up to the other input. Problem is I am hopefully getting a Gamecube off a fellow HTF member with component cables. Does anyone make a component switcher of some sort, versus having to swap hookups everytime I play a different console? Thanks in advance for the help, didn't ever think I would run into this problem!

2. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Ryan,
    I'm using a Sony a/v switcher for changing between component signals. I run all three video signals through the composite, left and right audio inputs on the switcher and it works fine.
    [​IMG]
    Radio Shack has cheaper ones that I hear work just as well. JVC makes one designed for component switching but its a little pricey at $100.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...JXS111&o=m&a=0

3. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

James,

The Somy switcher you posted a pic of does component switching? It looks like it only has composite switching. Do you know where I might could find one of these and the price. I did check out that JVC one, but that is too much money!

4. Leo

Leo Second Unit

5. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

You could get ghetto and just reach behind the TV here and again and switch them. [​IMG]
    -Bert

6. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Bert,

I might end up doing that, but I don't really want to have to scoot out a 200 lb. TV every time I want to switch consoles!

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I own both the Sony (pictured above) and the JVC switchbox (liked above). The Sony is intended for composite video but if you use the L&R audio you can use it as a component switchbox. It works fine for non-HD material.

The JVC is just a lot nicer looking. It fits well in my A/V rack and the inputs are spaced much better. I see no difference in performance between the two units.

The Sony unit can be purchased for about $20 at Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack (under another name). I got my JVC box from Etronix...follow the link in Leo's post.

8. James St

James St Supporting Actor

9. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Everyone,

Thanks for the advice, I will probably pick up the Radio Shack one or the Sony when my Gamecube shows up. I was just worried they would degrade the picture signal somehow. Thanks again!

10. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Great thread! I need one of these...

-Andre F

11. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

If you didn't want to spend the money on a switcher a cheaper alternative is to get a 3 'Y' cables so you can hook 2 leads into each component input. As long as only 1 is switched on at a time (which I imagine would be the case)you don't even have to worry about pressing buttons to switch consoles. I use this method and it works fine.

12. MarkDavidson

MarkDavidson Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know about bandwidth limitations by using a simple composite switch vs. using something touted as a true component video switcher? md