What's new

Help from Paradigm owners (1 Viewer)

Rob*Gallo

Agent
I am seriously looking at getting the Studio 60s for fronts, a CC-370, the Studio 20s for rears, and an SVS sub.

If the Studio 20s meet resistance from my wife due to size, am I giving up too much in quality by stepping down to the Atoms? They are really the only other Paradigms I can find that are materially smaller than the Studio 20s.

Just trying to cover all my bases before she starts asking questions...

Getting a lot of pushback on the size of the CC too, but I don't see many options there...

Alan_MD

Grip
The size of my HT room is about 10x20x8. I just purchased the Studio 40s for my fronts and plan to add the Studio ADP surrounds and CC and an SVS 20-39pc+ later. I'm also a little concerned about the size of the CC. I think it is basically a 40 on its side. The Studio 40s sounded nearly identical to the 60s at the dealer, and are wonderful fronts. I really think that unless you have a big space, the Studio 20s are going to be overkill for surrounds. Just my humble opinion.

JohnKings

Stunt Coordinator
Rob:

Three recomendations:

1. You should get the Studio CC instead of the 370. The Studio CC is timbre matched to the Studio Series and is one of the best price-to-performance center channels on the market today.

2. On the rears, I would really push for the 20's or look into at the in-wall paradigm's. Fuller range speakers are important, especially if you will be getting into DVD Audio.

3. On the sub, since you may be going to Canada to purchase the system, I would recommend looking at the PW-2200 sub. You can get it for around $450 US there and at that price it is one of the best deals going.

John

Rob*Gallo

Agent
Thanks, Alan.

My room size is almost the same, 11x22x8. I was going to go with the 40s, but she liked the floorstanders better, which is more than fine with me. Was looking at the ADPs and they are the same overall size as the 20s (reversing the width and depth).

I don't disagree that the 20s might be overkill, but I would rather have that than lower the quality of the overall package by going with the Atoms.

And, I'm not saying that will happen if I go with the Atoms. I'm asking for opinions/suggestions based on experience.

Anybody using Atoms with Studio 40s or 60s?

Rob*Gallo

Agent
Thanks John,

I am planning on getting the Studio CC, my mistake above. Will push for the 20s and look into the PW-2200.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I am currently using studio 60's for mains with the studio CC and Atoms for surrounds.

The atoms are great little speakers for surrounds but they definately aren't a perfect match for the 60's. They will however do the job they just won't have the same impact as the studio 20's. I will be upgrading to the ADP's within the next 6 months.

Rob*Gallo

Agent
Sounds like the Atoms are out if I can help it.

Now, if size gets approval from the "war department," do I go with the 20s or the ADPs?

I believe the 20s are $800 Canadian and the ADPs are $1050 (not including discounts of off list, etc.).

Thanks for the help!

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I am choosing the ADP's over the 20's but it's just a matter of preference. I prefer the sound of the ADP's for surround over the sound of the 20's for surrounds.

Either speaker would be a great choice.

Good luck, and let your ears decide.

Greg

Mikey B

Stunt Coordinator
If you do have to go with a smaller speaker, I can confirm the ADP-170's (same class as the Atoms) will work very well. I used 60's, Studio CC, and 170's very successfully. For home theater, I have never felt the need to upgrade. For multi-channel audio (5 ch. stereo & DTS), even that performed just fine. If you have the budget and can turn the wife around, definitely go with the 20's or studio ADP's, but you do have an option otherwise. I would bet Atoms would work as well as the 170's in my system.

MarcVH

Second Unit
I am also using Studio/60s with small, cheap surround speakers (not Atoms, but comperable.) I find it OK for movies; surround music might be less OK if you care about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks