help from Marantz RC3200 remote users

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Robert Ma, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I have an opportunity to get the RC3200 at a great price and wanted to get some of the users opinions of it first.

I currently have been using the RC2000MKII for years and like it very much. My RC2000 complaint is only it's awkward top heavy wait which requires me to use two hands on it occaisionally. Other than that I am pretty happy with it and would love to hear opinions from those who used both.

My main questions on the RC3200 are:

1. Is the circular pad on the remote a direction d-pad? I see no arrows on it.

2. If it is can you use it on any IR programed? (satelite d-pad)

3. Do you miss not having hard buttons? This is my main concern and if there were hard play, rewind, fastfoward, stop, and pause on the bottom this wouldn't be an issue. I am concerned that my everyday use of those types of buttons would drive me nuts going to look for them instead of just punching a hard button.

Any comments will help me.

2. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Robert, I have the RC-3200, it came with my SR-8200.

3. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Thanks Pete. I am leaning towards doing it. Can you comment on battery life for the 3200?

4. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

After I got it programmed and finally quit downloading and uploading changes, the batteries seem to last three to five months. It actually lasts much longer than I expected it to. I haven't written down the date that I changed the batteries out yet, but I will definitely do that next time, just to find out for sure how long they lasted.

The main thing is that they last long enough for me to not remember when I changed them out last!

Pete

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Sounds like I need to do some homework. I also have the SR8200, but all I use the RC3200 for is the receiver itself, and still fiddle with all the other remotes (5 in all).

But in my experience, battery life is limited. I've had the SR8200 and RC3200 about a year, and have changed batteries 3 times (I think). And these are alkaline batteries, not regular ones. But not using backlighting (if you don't need it, as I don't) seems to extend life a fair bit, when I first started using it the backlighting was on and the first set of batteries drained pretty quickly, but the next two sets seem to have held up better.

6. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Okay here is my final question on the rc3200 and I will instantly buy it if it does this.

I found at www.remotecentral.com downloadable config files. Some of these include images. I saw one that has channel images/symbols like ESPN, NBC, HBO, etc. All the normal channels. If these are loaded into the remote could I program the remote to tune my DirecTivo to the appropriate symbol? Hit the ESPN logo and it changes to 206 on the Sat?

Of course its just a button assigned to a macro but it would be about alot of macros....

I am so all over this if thats the case. I hate searching for channels [​IMG]

7. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Yes, you can display the program logos on the touchscreen and program macros to go to each channel represented.

8. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I ordered it on a special discount for $110. It will be here mid next week.

9. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Got it and like it so far. Anyone have tips on how I can take NCF files for the Pronto and load them in the Marantz Software? I thought I read there is a tool somewhere to convert them.

10. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I used the NeoHacker tool and successfully converted the pronto ncf over.

Be forwarned though. The neohacker program is in Java. I needed the Java jre to run it. So I installed it on my system and it (or microsoft, we know how they get along) removed my XP profile. In my profile was my documents, internet favorites, and email pst. I recovered them all with a tool but the email pst is gone. I am pissed!