help from Auto mechanics needed

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by brentl, Mar 31, 2003.

1. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Ok here goes

91 Pontiac 6000 with 3.1 L 6

Starting the car this morning I took my hand off the keys before the car was completely started it stalled and I heard a loud backfire.

The next time I started the engine it raced, then it stalled, then it raced so on.

Now I am able to get around, but unless I am completely stopped the engines races(2500 RPM I'd guess). When I do stop the revs drop to nothing and it runs REALLY rough like on three cylinders.

It still has the same pickup it used to when I floor it, but now when the engine goes from crappy to high revving at about 1MPH it will get up to about 40MPH on flat ground without me touching the gas.

Even when I put the car in neutral at 20-30MPH the car races. I can come to a stop with car in neutral and when Im get below that 1MPH threshold it stumbles badly.

Transmission is fine, shift normally with no slippage. Gas mileage seems as good as ever.

I get both a code 33, and a code 44.

Ideas??

My first thought would be the TPS, other than that I'm not sure.

Brent

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I guess people are still waking up[​IMG]

OR have I stumped all the mechanics[​IMG]

By the way I found out that my code is for a MAP sensor. Could that be the reason for my racing along with my poor idle??

I don't get an error code when driving, but code 33 pops up when I idle and the revs fall off.

Brent

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I was thinking perhaps a bad O2 sensor. Is that MAP sensor related to the MAF (mass air flow) sensor, which has to do with air intake. May explain why the car seems to be racing at idle.

Jay "Not a car expert, I just tend to hang around some forums" H

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I thought the same thing JAY, but I can't find anything more out by searching the web.

Actually it idles VERY low and sets a code 33. Only when I tough the gas does it rev up, anmd if the engine is in drive I can take my foot off the gas and it just keeps going.

It's weird, I don't seem to have a gradual gas pedal. I can SLOWLY push it down and it won't change. All of a sudden it will rev up to 2500(or so) RPM.

Brent

5. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

6. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Follow your vacuum lines to your Map sensor, make sure there are no leaks. If not, remove the sensor. Most parts stores should be able to check these off the car.

Most likely though, it is your MAP Sensor. Causing ....insert tech jargon....causing your TPS to do all the work.....insert more technical jargon.

You will need a Borg/Warner part # EC1602 (a very popular replacement part indeed)

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

As Cartman would say "I love you guys!"

Will try.

Brent