Help friend decide on new equipment for X-mas

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Michael_Her, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Michael_Her

Michael_Her Auditioning

Hi All,

I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on their HT equipment, I've spent about 2 grand myself on the hobby and enjoy it everyday. I have a friend who is a movie fanatic who is looking to get into the game. He has decided to parlay the christmas holiday into his initial receiver and Dvd player. He already has speakers and a Tv (Sony 35).

Can anyone recommend a Receiver and Progressive scan Dvd that will combine for around $300, I would think spending the larger chunk on the receiver would make the most sense. We have BB, CC, Tweeter and Home Theater store in the area but an online purchase should be fine too.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. John S

John S Producer

If you have been reading, you know I have just put in two Onkyo SR-501 recivers. Cost $180 on the refurb.

There are lower priced deals, but, a 6.1 with all the extra sound modes that come with it, just makes more sense these days.

Combine that with component video and such a product makes a ton of sense for the future with HDTV and all come'n down the pipe real fast, also progressive scan is only available through component video IE: HDTV.....

So on the reciever...

Get at least 6.1 and component video switching.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would recommend the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 refurbished reciever. You can find it for about $200 and it's an excellent piece of audio equipment.

I found that Sony makes some pretty good DVD players for almost any price range and the good thing is that if your friend burns DVD's I found that Sony takes almost any kind and can play them all perfectly, other players I have found have a problem with them.