Help! Fried My 3801

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Gibson, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Greg_Gibson

Greg_Gibson Auditioning

Well, a few months ago I had a problem with the surge protector my AV componenets were plugged into. I ended up plugging my Denon 3801 receiver into the wall TEMPORARILY and forgot about it. DOH!

Well, somewhere along the way we must have had a nasty power surge because the unit is dead. It will not power on.

I took it in for repair to a local electronics shop. They are telling me that the cost to repair the unit exceeds the value. They suggested that I submit a homeowner's claim for replacement value of the unit.

I'm somewhat suspicious of the technician's assessment of the unit. First he complained that the unit was difficult to get into and was not easy to work on. Then he had to order the service manual from Denon.

So...I'm curious if any of you technically inclined folks can verify if the Denon units are indeed difficult to service and if a power surge could damage the unit beyond reasonable repair. I don't really want to make a homeowner's claim and hate the idea of throwing away $1000.

Should I get a second opinion or just bite the bullet and get a new receiver?

Thanks,

Greg

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Of course what you describe is possible but I would get a second opinion. I think the odds are on your side that your receiver was not "fried". Did you notice any orher elec. devices in your home disabled? Have a real tech take a look at it and give you an honest and real answer. Jack

3. Greg_Gibson

Greg_Gibson Auditioning

No, I didn't lose any other components or appliances...however, the breaker on the UPS all my other AV components were plugged into was tripped...so I'm fairly confident the problem is related to some kind of power spike.

Greg

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Is this technician you spoke with an authorized Denon service rep? If not, call the Denon service number and describe the problem in detail. You'll get a possible diagnosis and be directed to an authorized repair center near you.

And did this earlier tech even say what the problem is and why it's so expensive to repair?

5. Greg_Gibson

Greg_Gibson Auditioning

No, this repair shop is not an authorized Denon repair facility. They came highly recommended from a respected local dealer.

The tech said the problem was numerous transistors blown on multiple circuit boards.

I'm suspicious that maybe he just isn't up to speed on Denon products since he complained about difficulty in accessing internal componenets and that they had to order the service manual.

I'll give Denon a call on Monday and see what they say.

Thanks,

Greg