What's new

HELP! - FP Screen Dilemma - NOT DIY (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I've been reading the screen threads here for weeks, but most seem to drift towards DIY.

I've got to believe I'm not alone here ... My HT has an older 4x3 RPTV and a new InFocus X1 FP. I want to keep both ... Pioneer RPTV for conventional TV watching and FP for DVD presentation. My center speaker sits on top of the FPTV. Ideally, for the X1 FP, I need a pulldown screen in front of my TV. I also need it to be acoustically transparent so I don't have to constantly move the center speaker.

Here's the trouble ... I can't find a manual pulldown screen that is acoustically transparent. Ideally, I want 80" wide and 1.85:1 AR. Does this animal not exist? Is there some reason why the microperf screens can't roll up?

I really want to do this for under $400., but that also seems impossible. I see Dalite Model B for < $200, but as soon as you go to acoustically transparent (Da-Lite evidently calls this "Audio Vision"), the pricing seems to jump to > $1000 and you can only get a fixed-wall screen.

Help ... anyone out there solved this problem?

Scott

TimG

Second Unit
It has been a while since I have looked at screens, but I don't think you will get into a microperf screen for under $400. A better solution would be to move your center channel so it can be under the tv/screen or over them. That would save you having to pay for a microperf. Also if I remember correctly microperf screens need to be tensioned, hence either wall-mounted or tensioned roll-down and the ensuing jump in price.

TimG

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
I agree with Tim. I don't believe you will be able to find a solution to your problem in your price range. It seems you have 3 possibilities: Get a good (non-perf) pulldown and run in phantom mode, move your center as Tim suggested, or DIY it.

RG

Users who are viewing this thread