What's new

Help for Tone Deaf Wife? (1 Viewer)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Help for Tone Deaf Wife?

My wife is in her 50's and has kids & grandkids that can sing very well. She has been tone deaf all of her life. She loves to listen to music but doesn't sing songs because she can't match the notes that others are singing.

I think she is missing something special by not being able to sing Christmas carols with the rest of the family. No one has ever tried to teach her to sing. I thought it would be nice to give her lessons as a Christmas gift.

At this time she can't recognize the difference between notes.

Is there much hope that she can be taught to sing songs properly?

Is tone deafness a physical impairment or can it be overcome with practice?

We have an electronic piano that may help in the training.

Jay Taylor

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I've never thought about it before, but that's an interesting question. Here's a link I found online to a method to cure tone deafness:
http://www.soundfeelings.com/product...ucts/pitch.htm
I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone has any experience with this or similar products.
It's only $5 and you print it out off of a webpage, so it seems like it'd be worth a shot.

GeorgeTW

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mean to be crass, but have you considered an electronic tuner? If she really wanted to sing, she could use its display to compare her perception of the note, to that of the instrument being used.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
why not voice lessons? Maybe it isn't that she can't tell the difference but that she just doesn't have the vocal control to match the notes? er something :)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input guys.

MickeS,

I checked out your link & it sounds like what I'm looking for. Since it was only $5.00 I decided to give it a try.

I placed an order with the company that handles their shopping cart but the transaction ended in error, stating that the transaction was completed but there was an error reporting it to the company that sells the e-book.

I was supposed to get a user name & password e-mailed to me so the e-book could be read on-line & printed out if I desired.

I think my card was charged $5.00 but I received nothing.

I called the Sound Feelings Publisher but their answering machine stated that no one is available.

I e-mailed the owner, Howard Richman to describe the problem.

Time will tell how this is resolved.

I'll let you know of any updates, but for now I recommend that no one else place an order with these guys.

Jay Taylor

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jay, I'm sorry about that. I have no experience with them myself. That sucks. :frowning: :frowning:
I hope it's resolved and that you get what you paid for. Maybe someone else here has some better suggestions. :frowning:
/mike

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
No regrets MickeS.
The guy's probably on "Christmas Vacation" & will resolve it when he gets back.
It still may be the best solution to get my wife singing without breaking any windows. :)
Jay Taylor

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I'm exactly like your wife. I love music and I can "sing along" in my head perfectly, but if I opened my mouth it would come out a croak totally unrelated to whatever note it should have been. Since I was a kid I've had to mouth along to songs such as the national anthem or hymns in church. The weird thing is, for a brief time in high school, I could sing, and was even in the choir, but the ability left me as suddenly as it came, and it's never come back. Odd.

Your gift idea is very sweet, good luck with it!

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Update to the link for the ebook "Secrets of Singing On Pitch":

Today the author of this ebook contacted me and gave me a username and password. He apologized and said he doesn't know why the shopping cart software occasionally errors out.

I logged on and printed out the ebook. It looks like exactly what my wife needs.

To use the ebook you need a musical keyboard, a tape recorder & the 11-step ebook.

To give you an idea of what's in the ebook, step one is called 'Learn High and Low' and explains how to tell the difference between high and low notes. This may sound like a dumb step, but prior to downloading this my wife told me that she couldn't tell the difference between high & low notes.

Thanks for the link Mike. My wife and I are anxious to give this a try.

I'll reactivate this link later to give you the results, good or bad.

Jay Taylor

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks