Help for the Newbie ???

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Burki, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Burki

Burki Agent

OK i finally decided to buy Onkyo's TX-SR601 a/v receiver to my flat and i think i made a good decision. B4 buying this receiver i was considering to buy 2 speakers to listen music and later maybe i can add some more speakers to ht system to watch movies with these. And i chose JBL's E30 before choosing the receiver. Now to be real , i dont know all these khz-hz stuff writen and has relation with the receiver also. I need some help here. Will it be ok with the receiver ?

At onkyo web site it says like this :

Power Output* (8 ohm, 20 Hz-20 kHz, FTC)

and these are the speakers :

international.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.asp?ProdId=E30/230&SerId=NRE&language=ENGLISH

Thanks from now [​IMG]

2. Burki

Burki Agent

Now i realized something. I can also buy N28's from JBL by paying a bit more instead of buying E30's. At JBL's site for these speakers :

Frequency Response (–3dB): 50Hz – 20kHz

and for E30

Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 125 Watts

for N28

Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 150 Watts

but receiver has only 85W at 8 Ohm. Will the receiver be powerless to the speakers or ok with it?

3. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

Speaker maximum power recommendations/ratings are given by manufacturers in order to help prevent listeners from damaging their speakers. These numbers do not represent a finite point at which damage WILL occur. They merely serve as an indicator to consumers of the ability of the speaker to handle specific amounts of power without problems. This number is not as important as the number of watts that your reciever is capable of generating. The more powerful your reciever is, the less likely it will distort. Distortion is what damages most speaker components. Speakers with power ratings of 150 watts shouldn't be affected by most home audio recievers, provided they are not driven to distortion.

Waveform (sound) distortion can be difficult for speakers to reproduce. What is not reproduced is often expressed as heat. When speaker diaphrams are asked to move beyond their capability they heat up even more. This sometimes causes speakers (voice coils) to get hot and the wires to burn, melt, or otherwise break the electrical circuit. I have even seen some speaker cones deformed by too much movement. Don't stress your equipment by driving it into obvious distortion and you probably won't have any problems with the components you listed.

4. Ron Daily

Ron Daily Extra

Burki, i have the TX-SR601 and i am very happy with it. I am running a pair of polk RTI38 bookshelfs with it along with a sub. Although it does not have a very high wattage output i think it does very good. I'm sure you won't have any problems driving the speakers you mentioned although you should try to listen to them with the onkyo just to be sure you like the sound. I have not heard the jbls but i like my polks very much. take care, Ron

5. Burki

Burki Agent

Thx guys for your detailed answer and really it helped to me. There is another fact here i want to mention. I am living in Hungary and here its hard to test products because city i'm living is small("Budapest" compared to Istanbul-I'm turkish) and dealer's are not so many. And you cannot find the all the products you want to test at the same place. Ahhh you are really lucky to live in USA because prices are cheap and you can test the products there.

Thanks again...