What's new

Help for Sirius noob? (1 Viewer)

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys (and gals, if there any reading),

Right now I get Sirius satellite radio via my subscription to DishNet. And I have enjoyed it immensely, especially the classic jazz station and Les Davis.

However, for a number of reasons, the most critical being DishNet's lack of HD programming and my inability to get OTA due to topography, I'm thinking of switching to cable.

I have satellite dishes (two), HDTV OTA antennas, etc., as well as exterior cabling running right to where my two systems (one music only, the other dedicated HT) reside -- what else do I need, specifically, to continue receiving Sirius satellite radio?

Besides a subscription, that is.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Brent T

Second Unit
I have DirecTV with HDTV and I have my sportser plugged right into my Integra. Sounds great. As long as you can get the antenna outside you shouldnt have any problems. I just ran mine along the wall. I did buy the extension for it though.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Brent. Just to clarify for any future readers, I don't care too much about mobile audio; this is just for my home systems. The clarity I get right now is outstanding -- does anyone know what Sirius uses for a source ... CDs? DVD-Audio? -- and I don't want to lose that.

Additional specific recommendations welcomed!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Sirius uses a proprietary compression technique to broadcast. They probably use computers for sources, PCM or high bitrate MP3. In order to get Sirius without your Dish, you need the following:

A Sirius Radio - There are plug and play (go from car to home, need a dock of some sort in each location) which broadcast via FM mod or mini-plug cable to existing receivers, Car only (usually a box that cables into a head unit) and Home only (Kenwood makes one for use with a stereo/HT and Tivoli makes a real nice table radio)

An antenna - You need to place this in a window or mount it to the side/roof of the house. There are different pointing recommendations according to your geographic location. Every radio comes with a basic antenna and there are home specific antennas available if the standard one is not sufficient (mine is a standard car antenna in a north facing window sill and I get 2 out of 3 bars and a full terrestrial signal). Terrestrial signals are from land based sat repeaters and are located around major cities.

A subscription - Monthly is 12.99, Buying multiple months/years give you a discount.

You can read this all on the WWW.sirius.com under the "How to get it" tab.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks