What's new

Help for newbie, Tivo/DVD recorder (1 Viewer)

carter

Auditioning
I need some help. I am interested in making a move to Direct TV and I am also considering either Tivo or a DVD recorder, or both. I am very much a newbie in the matter and don't really know what I need. I would like to recorder TV but will also plan to convert VHS and mini-dv home movies to DVD. I have read there are some benefits to Tivo with scheduling programs and skipping commercials, but what other factors do I need to consider? I am wondering if I should just go with a DVD recorder now with a hardrive.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Other than changing your viewing habits completely and not tieing you to the networks schedule, there's not much benefit. :D

Seriousl. Get the DirecTivo. There around $50 for new DirecTV customers. Then get a DVD recorder. The ones with hard drives are better for editing.

-Robert

carter

Auditioning
Thanks, after further research, I figured that would probably be the popular opinion. My next question is that I have read where DirectTV was going to be coming out with there on system separate from Tivo. When is that expected and should I just go with Tivo or wait?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Just go with Tivo, since it's a small upfront investment.

If it were the HD $900+ model, then it would be a much harder call.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
about that pioneer dvd recorder with tivo..
I have diretv with tivo..so I only pay $5 bucks a month to have the tivo service...
If I get this pioneer dvd +tivo unit..would I have to shell out the regular tivo subscription price?
I'm assuming the answer is yes.. but hey..maybe this could be a great deal..

Ian

Agent
I would recommend the DirecTV TiVo. It records only in best quality and in Dolby Digital 5.1 when it is available. If you decide to add a DVD Recorder in the future, the picture quality of your recordings will be very good.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

Let's expand that a bit.......don't forget that the DirecTiVO has dual tuners, allowing for the recording of two shows at one time, or for recording one while watching another live through the TiVO!!!!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Don't bother with Toshiba DVD recorders though. I just tried one with a hard drive and Tivo (RS-TX20) and it has zero editing capability. You can't even put in chapter stops. :angry: As pricey as the thing is you'd think it would have some functionality. On the plus side, it is much more user-friendly than the Philips HDRW-720, which had some editing possibilities but was a) completely unusable without going through all kinds of gyrations and b) incompatible with digital cable. Who's designing these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks