Help for big-time Hum?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy_M, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I recently took apart and reconnected my system (it went into a new entertainment center I had to agree to in order to get my WS TV).
    Ever since, all my speakers hum quite noticeably, and it's driving me nuts. The only thing I changed is adding Radio Shack gold banana plugs all around.
    My system:
    Denon 2801
    Def Tech BP8B fronts
    Def Tech CLR2002 center
    Def Tech BP1X surrounds
    Velodyne VA1215X sub
    If anyone has any ideas, I would be appreciative.
    Thanks
    Randy

2. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Be sure to route all power cables well away from the interconnects. If they must cross, try to do so at right angels and make certain they do not lay next to, and run parallel to, one another. If this does not help and you have cable tv, the standard answer is to disconnect the cable and see if the hum goes away. If it does, you have a cable induced ground loop.
    Jason

3. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    OK, it looks like I have the Cable Induced Ground Loop. Is this something I can fix myself, or should I call my cable company (who, unfortunately, are generally clueless)
    Thanks.

4. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    One cheap fix that might work is two back-to-back 75 Ohm to 300 Ohm baluns -- the kind that are used to adapt TV antenna wire to 75 Ohm connections. You do have to use an Ohmmeter to make sure that they actually isolate: neither of the antenna wires should be connected to the shield of the 75 Ohm side of the adaptors.