What's new

Help for a Newbie (1 Viewer)

Carew

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
Hi All... I'm new to the HTF and have spent a few days trying to absorb as much information as possible. Seems to be a lot of great people here with plenty of knowledge and experience.

I just bought a new HDTV (Panasonic 58" 1080p plasma) for a 2-story great room. I want to add a decent sound system to this but realize the room isn't ideal for HT. I started at the local HT specialty shops but quickly found that they didn't want to help if I wasn't buying their services and products. I started looking at several components but wanted some "reality-check" advice before I pulled the trigger. So, here is what I am faced with:

1. Room is 25 X 20 and two stories tall. 25 feet from "media wall" to back wall.
2. Looking towards the TV, there is a fireplace (diagonal) in the left corner and the doorway to the master bedroom in the right corner.
3. The left wall is basically a 2-story window.
4. The rear wall has an open doorway on the left from the kitchen and an open doorway or the right from the basement/garage area. The wall area between these doorways is 10 feet (doorways are in each of the corners of back wall).
5. The right wall has a second floor balcony and a large opening to the dining room and a large opening to the foyer.
6. The media wall (usable area) is about 10 feet wide with the TV wall mounted in the center.

Here is what I assume (comments please):

1. I have to go with a 5.x setup as I don't have a logical place to put side speakers.
2. I can put center, front right and left on the "media wall" and the rears on the back wall.
3. Anything else I should assume???

Components I've looked at but have not bought:

1. AV Receiver: Denon AVR-2807
2. SVS PB12+2 or maybe the SVS PB-13 Ultra
3. Front, center and rear speakers - Honestly, I'm overwhelmed here and have no idea. Looking for suggestions...

Please ask questions, offer advice, throw bombs at my ideas (reality-check) and help anyway you can...

Thanks in advance!!
Rick

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The Denon and SVS are very good choices. Let me say too, to consider a Harmony remote. It will make life much easier, with the Denon, especially if you have a wife or girlfriend, that likes to watch, when you're not there. Denon remotes can be a nightmare to deal with.

Speakers can actually go almost anywhere, as long as they're calibrated right. Ideally, in a 5.1 setup, the rear speakers are to the side, and just behind the head............. not behind on a wall. That would be more for a 7.1 setup.

For speakers, you can get bookshelf speakers, or you get some with floor standing mains.
Here are some excellent bookshelf speakers:
http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
or, here is a set with floor standing mains:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AGeSAHq...0&I=700RTI12SY

You didn't mention a dvd player. If you want upconverting, the Oppo's are a favorite:
http://www.oppodigital.com/
or of course, there's HD DVD and Blu ray high def dvd players. Samsund is supposed to have one very soon, that plays both formats, that should be better and cheaper, than the LG universal player.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks