help for a new enthusiast

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ronaldJ, Feb 7, 2006.

1. ronaldJ

ronaldJ Auditioning

Hello all. Ì've only been registered two days and have been busy reading some of the great posts here. My last stereo system was purchased 20 yrs ago. I'm just beginning to look into a new HT setup for myself and the technology is sending me for a loop. I saw an ad for an amplifier that was advertised as "balanced". I've seen balanced used also with inputs, outputs, and interconnects. If anyone has a bit of time, I sure would appreciate an explanation. I could also use a quick definition of what a pre-out is. Sorry if the questions seem mundane for you pros out there, but I'm really starting from scratch. Thanks ahead for any help.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

In a nutshell, balanced means 3-prong connectors, also known as "XLR". Balanced connections actively reject noise, and are used mostly in pro audio where you have miles of cables going all over the place.

In home audio, balanced interconnects are luxury appointments, real world value is debatable but not entirely useless.

A pre-out is a "line-level" output of the signal intended to be amplified. Preouts are found on both preamplifiers and receivers - necessary on preamps since there are no internal amps, and an option on receivers since receivers have built-in amps. A pre-out allows the receiver to act as a pre, using better outboard amps.

3. ronaldJ

ronaldJ Auditioning

Thanks ColinM. You cleared that up for me very nicely.