Help for a friend with system....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DonnyD, Aug 17, 2003.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

A good friend has asked that I pick out and install an HT system for her husbands birthday (on the sly) and I'd like to get some general ideas from some of yall here.
    This guy is pretty detailed about things so I know he will peruse anything I decide on and qualify/ evaluate each decision I make. Both of them have seen/ heard a few systems I've set up and know I will drop their jaws.

The main thing I have to keep in mind is that this guy has the bucks to have most anything he wants so I know I have to use some "good" stuff. His wife has requested that the speakers be small bookshelfs.

I am considering Energy Conn and Veritas, Paradigms , B&W, and possibly Axioms. The drawback to Axioms is that I have not heard them and only see posts concerning their quality.

I personally have a mix of Old JBL, Energy RVSS,& Energy Veritas which is powerful and quite dramatic. I recently set up a system with Paradigms that this guy really liked too. Would the B&W 600 bookshelf series be somewhere close and worth checking out.

Of course, the sub will probably be a SVS ..... one of the boxes.

2. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    There really is a big difference between the Connesuir line and the Veritas line. If you listen to them side by side, the Connesuir will sound REALLY muddy. If he likes the bookshelf speakers I would look at the 2.2's of the Veritas. Very clean and detailed, good imaging and would mate really well with a SVS. But what doesn't mate well with a SVS?

I would check out the B&W stuff against the Veritas. I believe that B&W is more laid back where the Energy is more in your face. Some might say that the Energy's are more detailed (up in your face). Check them out and tell us what you think!

What are you considering for a receiver or pre/pro amp? I think that Rotel would be a great choice.

Jeff Aguilar

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

If bookshelfs for HT are the call, I recommend you look into the Klipsch RB-75 and the RC-7 center. Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient and dynamic due to it being partially horn loaded. The RB-75 is the bookshelf version of the flagship RF-7 tower.

SVS also just put up info about a new box sub, the PB2-ISD.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb2_isd.htm

4. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Give us a ballpark budget...

And the components needed... TV?... DVD player?... separates?

Mostly movies or mostly music?... what kind of music?

Big room?... small room?

Are cosmetics / looks important?

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Budget is around 3500 for a receiver, dvd player, and 6.1 setup. I already know he favors a Yam so I am looking at a 2300 as the heart. Cosmetics are an issue so small bookshelves are pretty much it. The room is a large clearstory and placement is gonna be a critical issue. I've already taken some sweeps using his current stereo equipment so I know I am in for a challenge.

One of the box SVS will be the sub for sure. It may be tough to get this in under the proposed budget because of the size of the room but we're gonna try.

I personally want to use Veritas but I know that blows the budget big time. Paradigms or the Energy Conns are pretty much the next option.

Klipsch are at a local dealer and when we checked them out, they were terrible. All of us held our ears! Just too tinny and shrieking. They did sound good through a Proceed but that is out of the question.

They are 50% movies and 50% music. Most of the music is classical/ symphony and party music is rock. This is a well educated couple who knows what they like in music and now we are gonna try to give them something to hear it on.

Gonna be fun.

6. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Yipe!... all the wrong answers, especially that large open room.

Normally I'd advise against 6.1, but it's worth installing in the bigger room.

Following that, I'd normally recommend a Rotel receiver for power and quality, but you'd need an addtional amp for 6.1... so I guess the thing to shoot for would be at least a 100w x 6 (or 7) receiver... I like Marantz for the sound, but you might just as well consider a Yammie, if only to cosmetically match the DV-S2300 (a good choice, btw)... can't scrimp on power in that room (200 wpc would be ideal, if you'd consider the additional cost of a separate power amp, maybe a used one).

So, receiver and universal player is about half your budget... add $600 for the SVS (another good choice).

As for speakers, I don't have enough experience with larger or cavernous rooms to make a confident brand recommendation (though I'm fairly confident those Klipcsh's would shriek like crazy in an open reverberant room)... but I might suggest auditioning speakers with silk dome tweeters which might tame the room a bit... if there's a dealer nearby that carries them, try the Totem Acoustics line... great line of bookshelves and AV packages... they sound fantastic, and have fine wood finishes... http://www.totemacoustic.com/NewFile...l#Anchor-11481

The Soliloquy SAT-5 is another great performer with a sweet wood finish... http://www.solspeak.com/products_sol.html

You might give NHT's a listen, also... good performer, but not particularly attractive if you don't like black... http://www.nhthifi.com/home_product.asp?subjectid=6

Just for the bang-for-the-buck factor, I'd recommend auditioning some of the popular online speaker makers (Axiom, Ascend, GR, Rocket), but I think the combination of a tricky room and your wish to do this as a surprise nixes that idea (however, there are lots of satisfied owners on this forum who will vouch for them, insofar as you're looking for input).

That room might require some trial-and-error under any circumstances... and I don't think I have to tell you the speaker is the most critical link in the chain... you and your friend might be more comfortable with direct in-store auditions for this project.

Happy hunting.

7. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I think the best bang for your buck with that budget and wanting bookshelfs may be the Paradigm Studio 20's. Maybe you can look around a little and get some v2's on closeout or something. Haven't hear anything by B$W below their CDM 7NT's, so can't comment much there. Maybe 4 studio 20's, and the matching center (or, heck, even another 20 for the center). Also, here's some food for thought. Take a look at some NHT M5's or M6's to be used as bookshelfs. I know, they're a little bigger than the 20's an other bookshelfs, but they deliver a lot of sound even by themselves (withoug the B5 sub pedestal). MSRP for a pr. is $900. Maybe get another one for your center, and then some NHT SB2's to round things out. Dang 6.1, might have to throw in another SB2 for the rear center. Total cost for the 5 is $1750, and that's MSRP, so there's probably some wiggle room in there. You'd be extremely hard-pressed to beat this for that price. NHT's have a reputation of clean detailed sound, and deliver the goods on both music and movies.

The RXV2300 is a nice choice for the receiver. Also, I think they are being closed out for around $7-800 anymore at a authorized B&M. This leaves you with approx. $1000 for the sub and a DVD player. Hey, don't forget the cables. Also, you can find Yamaha CX1's for

8. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

The net-direct route may be safer way to CYA. He can send it back if he doesn't like it and only be out shipping. I don't know if the wife can handle the looks of Ascends but they are known for wide presentation. You could put 340s across the front and 170s across the back and stay in budget. There is a dedicated Ascend forum that just started this week that you can get more info at www.ascendforum.com

9. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Great replies guys. As usual, informative with fresh and alternative perspectives. This is gona be a booger to get in under budget and still drop the jaws long term.

10. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    Hey Donny,

Here is a pair of Veritas 2.2's for $850 to build a system around! Audiogon Add

Jeff

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The Internet companies offer some very good value. Considering that your friends wife cares about how things look, I would not recommend the Axioms, as I feel they look a bit cheap. The Ascends would be a good value and look OK, if you like the non-wood approach.

The Rockets with their gorgeous rosewood cabinetwork will be real winners if this look meets with his wife’s approval. The sound of the Rockets is not nearly so bright as the Klipsches.

Look at
    package #8 àt $1,100 and package #7 àt $1,300, the difference being that #7 has Rocket 250s up front. They all have 150s in the rear and a 100 for the center speaker.

You could consider the UFW-10 as a sub, if you want to keep the rosewood look. It comes in at $600—I heard them in Dallas and was very impressed.

12. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Thanks for more good ideas.

On the Veritas 2.2........... I have a pair coming tomorrow for tryout on my own system although they may become his.... but that would definitely raise the budget for a complete 6.1 setup. I stopped in a B&W today and they pushed the B&W CM2 which is also a budget buster.

The Rockets look great to me but the strong woodgrain is way off in matching this ladies decor. A trip to Memphis this week will bring the Paradigms and Monitor Audio into play and then I'll just see what will shake out.

The receiver is now going to be the new Yamaha 2400 which will be released next month.