Help-Fix for cracks on DVD spindle holes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nelson Au, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Just curious, I have not seen anything mentioned of this here, but I have found cracks along the center spindle hole on the The Day The Earth Stood Still DVD. Not that this DVD is an example of a defect for all TDTESS DVD, I know that can happen to any DVD.

The mechanism on the case that holds the disc in place caused the cracking, even though I handle all my DVD's with great care, it happened. It's new enough to return for exchange, but I was curiuos if there are any repair tips or kits for these kinds of damage. The cracks are small and short and are perpendicular to the hole. Is this common among others here?

Thanks, Nelson

2. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

Just off the top of my head...maybe a dab of super glue across the crack?

Unknown how that would react with the plastic though, I've never tried it. You might end up with a goop that eats through your floor like the blood in Alien.

I certainly wouldn't use the normal keepcase spindle to store the "fixed" DVD though.

Dunno...thankfully I've never come across this.

Seth

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Anybody ever have a chunk break out at the spindle hole? My Gladiator disc has this problem. The piece is there but hanging on by a thread. I was thinking of trying some CA glue but I am not sure if it would work. The other thing would be to just remove the piece all together, but I'm not sure whether this would screw up the disc's balance when played. Any suggestions? Other than the most obvious one. [​IMG]

4. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

try the superglue if there is space.
    if that messes up, just remove it, so long as it is even; won't be a problem unless you use an LD combo player.

we are now forced to use spare donut (barcode) labels to seal them up (both sides).

a right royal rental pain.
    we may change all our cases to a non-clipping hub soon.

5. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

This is easily the worst thing about DVD ownership. I have many discs that have very slight cracks in the center. Gladiator is the worst thanks to the lousy spindle in the case.

I'll be very happy if Sony's idea of bringing back the disc caddy for their new HD-DVD recorder becomes a standard for HD-DVD. Caddies rock.

6. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

My Terminator 2 special features disc is pretty bad due to spindle cracks. It still plays, but I am VERY VERY careful with it. I find that alpha cases are the easiest to crack the spindles with.

7. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Chris-

Interesting information, I have a combo DVD/LD player. Is there an issue with the clamping mechanism that holds the disc inside the player that does not like the disc to have extra thickness, by glue or tape?

Nelson

8. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

someone couldn't load a disc in their combo player, whereas it loaded fine on our single disc player.

CDs used to get stuck in our LD player because of the different clamps, weight etc.

could be mere speculation on my part :b

9. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

On a disc as new as "The Day the Earth Stood Still," I'd return it for a replacement where I bought it from. In my opinion bad backaging that cracks a brand new disc like that qualifies as a manufacturing defect.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Tony, PINCH the center, don't follow the "lift here"