What's new

Help! first try with DVD-AUDIO...so confused. (1 Viewer)

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator
hello people,

sorry this is so long, skip to the last paragraph for a recap.

i bought bjork's vespertine today because we got a new dvd player that can play dvd audio discs. but i'm really confused.

we have a toshiba sd4800, and an onkyo tx-ds 787 receiver.

on the back of the disc, it says there are three formats available. advanced resolution 5.1, advanced resolution stereo, and DD 5.1

on the top menu of this disc, there is a choice between stereo, and 5.1. i assume that stereo refers to the advanced resolution track, which i confirmed because on the receiver it says it is receiving a pcm signal sampled at 48khz (i think the toshiba downsamples it from 96khz). i also assume that the 5.1 selection is the advanced resolution 5.1 track. i can't really confirm this because the receiver still says it is only receiving a pcm signal at 48khz. i'm not sure this makes sense.

well, i'm not really worried about the advanced res multichannel track, i thikn i would have to get 6 RCAs and use the analog outs on the dvd player and connect them to the multichannel input on the receiver.

the thing that makes no sense is that nowhere on this disc can i find the dolby digital 5.1 track. i'm really confused. through trial and error, i figured out there are 3 groups on the disc: group 1 is the multichannel track, group 2 is the stereo track. and group 3 i have no clue.

when i try to access group 3, it says i have to enter some 4-digit key, which i don't know. i'm thinking group three is the dolby digital 5.1 track.

so in conclusion, there's no option on the top menu to choose the 5.1 track, and i can't get to it manually. can someone please help? i just want to hear what the 5.1 mix sounds like, and i don't have the time to go get 3 pairs of RCAs right this moment.

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator
i'm not sure i understand what you mean. this is a dvd audio/video player, i so assumed it would be able to access the dolby digital track off a dvd audio disc?:confused:

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Andrew, it shouldn't be that difficult to access your DD 5.1 track. Especially if you do not have the analog inputs (6 RCA cables) connected, you don't have a choice. I'm not familiar with your player so I don't know about what codes you have to set up. If you have a DVD-A/DVD-V player, make sure you at least have the optical or coaxial cable in place from the player to the receiver. Make sure your receiver is not in the External Decoder mode as you will not use that for your DD 5.1 track. You still need to find the DD track from the menu page which you should be able to do. But do yourself a favor, go buy the cables. The MLP tracks will likely sound much better!

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
My JVC DVD-audio player will NOT play the dolby digital track. I had to upgrade to a 6 channel pre-out receiver and hook up to that to be able to play dvd-audio discs at all.There never is a menu option- that I have seen- to allow you to change to the dolby digital track.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
My Toshiba (4700) has an option in the set-up menu that allows you to set defaults as to which kind of disc is in the player (DVD-A or DVD-V). When I have it set to DVD-A, the menus only show the analog choices. Make sure it's set to DVD-VIDEO. Let me know if that works for you.

C

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Thanks very much. that fixed it. actually, i had played around with that option, but thought it did nothing. but i just turned off the player, then turned it back on, and then the Dolby Digital track was available. I should have thought of doing that, but i guess i didn't. thanks again!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Again, Andrew, if you're interested in the multichannel remixes, then you really need the analog cables. Simply utilizing the DD-5.1 track negates the very reason you got into DVD-audio - high resolution sound!

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Just a side note. The "hi-res" tracks on the Bjork DVD-A (the multi-channel at least) are indeed 48khz. What a gyp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks