What's new

Help! First try @ HT- advices/opinions wanted! (1 Viewer)

Amy Tippin

Auditioning
Hi there.

I know NOTHING about HT, but I'm thinking of purchasing some equipments ...so i'll need your help BIG time!! I know everyone's experts in this field at this board, and I need to start w/ the basics..

I have a dvd player already, so I'm guessing I'll need a new TV (recommendation needed), a receiver (i don't even know what this does..can somebody explain this to me? and which one i should get), and a set of speakers. That's all I need, right?

First, my budget.. is not high. I'm thinking about $1500~ less for for TV, so it's not gonna be no HDtv or anything. Should i get smaller size but better quality tv or bigger size projection tv?

and..receiver..I don't know anything about this piece of equipment..can you recommend me some good ones, w/ good price? what does this do anyway? i've been lurking around this place and i hear people talking about 5.1 6.1 etc..?!?

speakers.. my budget is low so I can't spend much $$ for speakers.. anything that'll please me while watching my dvd's will do.. I was thinking sony sav-e satellite speakers because they were cheap,, (under 300)but..i need your recommendation.. and what's DTS, dolby, and stuff?! You can tell that i'm a newbie. I couldn't just lurk around because i had no idea what people were saying. So...your help will be a appreciated BIG time.

Thanks for everything!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
WOW
OK, here goes -
TV - not really my area, but there's a lot of things we should know, like room size, and how far away you'll be.
An HT setup = TV, Receiver, and 2 to as many as 10 speakers in some full blown systems.
Receivers - These are 3 seperate components in one box: Preamp, which simply collects all of the sources (CD, DVD, TV etc) and switches between them. Then rec's have Amplifiers - anywhere from 5 - 7 seperate channels in a HT model, 2 in a stereo only model. Finally the Tuner, for radio broadcasts. Denon (Model 1602), Marantz (5200), Harman/Kardon (AVR120, 220, 320), Onkyo(??), Pioneer(??) and Kenwood(??) are respected on this board, along with some others...model #s are entry level...
DD = Dolby Digital. 5 channels (Left, Right, Center, Left Surround and Right surround) all get the full boat, bass to treble signal while the ".1" is a bass-only channel called LFE, low frequency effects. DTS is about the same thing done in a different way. Coke vs. Pepsi, kinda.
With the 'processing' (DD allows bass to be 'directed' to the subwoofer) now available to take the bass out of the 5 main channels you can get away pretty cheaply with small bookshelf types all around, and a good sub can take the place of 5 woofers like you find in a tower speaker. JBL's NSP1 5-speaker package can be found on-line for less than $300, at Best Buy it's $400 or better.
Ask some more questions, we like to help!
:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Amy Tippin

Auditioning
Hi, and thanks for the information!!

so, for speakers, you recommend the JBL's NSP1 5-speaker package, right? (for my budget)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
the NSP-1 is a very solid package. i use them myself in my dorm room, and for the $300 i paid for them, they are magnificant. it's a great package for a beginning HT setup.
i would also recommend you get a subwoofer. i'm a big believer that no HT is complete without one. i suggest going to Best Buy and looking at the Sony SA-WM40 (~$150-200). it's another solid performer in this low-price bracket.
receiver-wise, i say look at Onkyo's TX-DS595 or Denon's AVR-1602 (or the AVR-1802 if you can spend a little more). i'd stay away from what you see at Best Buy, as those products are not very well regarded around here (because they suck)! J&R will have the Onkyo for around $359 if you talk them down on the phone, and etronics will have both Onkyo and Denon (the Denon will be cheaper too). only reason not to buy from etronics is that they are NOT an authorized dealer (J&R is) and you may have trouble getting Denon to honor the warranty if something breaks. i'd suggest buying the Denon locally at your local hifi store.
here's the links:
www.etronics.com for the cheapest prices (but not good service and they aren't authorized)
www.jandr.com for good prices and great service (they ARE authorized).
other than the receiver, both sites will have the other equipment i listed here. good luck!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Amy, a LOT of people have started with the Kenwood HTB-504 system for $499 at Sears/Costco.

This has a full-featured receiver with a lot of the bells, 5 tone-matched speakers and a self-powered sub.

This gives you all the main pieces that work just fine with each other, or allow you to upgrade a single part (receiver, speakers, sub, DVD player, etc.) later.

We can help you assemble the cables fairly cheaply (hint: locate your nearest Best Buy store for AR cables, or Radio Shack).

Please avoid the Panasonic/Sony little silver cube systems. You can do much better for just a few dollars more.

And please, dont be afraid to lurk. Looking at old posts is a great way to find that other people dont know what the buzz words mean. Then you can post more specific questions.

Ken Shiring

Agent

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
Amy,
I would second the Kenwood HTB-504/HTB-544. This package includes a receiver, five speakers and a sub. It would be excellent way to start your home theater. The neighbor next door just picked up this set from www.onecall.com (a Kenwood authorized dealer) for $500. You just need to through in a bit more for speaker wire and a subwoofer cable.
As for a TV, we might need a little information. What size of room will the TV be in? The $1500 that you are looking to spend, does that include a TV?
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks