What's new

Help finding center speaker for vintage Infinity Reference Studio Monitors (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My brother-in-law has a pair of 30-year old Infinity Reference Studio Monitor speakers that I was helping him connect to my old Pioneer Elite A/V receiver over the holidays. I would like some recommendations on possibilities for a center speaker that will come close to matching these tonally. They appear to have a ribbon tweeter. For now, I have the receiver setup with a "phantom" center, but their seating positions are off-axis, so a real center speaker would work better.

I found a photo of the speakers here.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I found this Acculine center speaker that is reasonably priced. It has a magnetic planar tweeter -- not quite the same as the ribbon tweeter in the old Infinity speakers. I'm wondering if it may be a decent match, though.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'd call or e-mail Jon Lane @ The Audio Insider and ask his opinion about it first before buying it. He's a good guy to deal with and will give an honest answer if he knows anything about those old Infinity's. I have heard the Acculine bookshelves and thought they performed well above their price.

Also, those Reference Studio Monitors look like they have the same mids and tweeters as the Kappa series. If they made a Kappa center that might be the one you're looking for. In any event, it's very hard to match older speakers with a newer center channel.

But I did find this on e-Bay but it has a different style EMIT tweeter so I don't know how it would match the Monitors. But I also found these on Audiogon. Maybe you can talk your brother in-law into ditching those Monitors for the Crescendo's! I know, probably not.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the suggestions, Gene. I don't think my brother-in-law would go for those Crescendo's on Audiogon -- he's not looking to spend that much money.

I'll contact The Audio Insider and see what Jon has to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks