Help finding a turntable....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by todd s, Feb 19, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

My father was in a Doo Wop group in the early 60's. He has a bunch of his old demo albums and other albums that we want to save onto cd. Does anyone know of a turntable that can also play 78? Also, we don't want to spend a lot of money. Even a used one is fine as long as it is from a reputable dealer.

Thanks!

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I am looking for a new turntable myself now.
    (As well as receiver, cd player, tape deck, etc.)

The bad news is - many receivers don't come with turntable inputs!, and for currently made turntables, 78 rpm is probably rare.

I do see the Pro-ject Perspective model says a motor for 78 rpm is available as an optional extra, but the whole thing is probably already so pricey I don't think you'll be interested. The brochure I'm looking at gives "www.project-audio.net" as an internet address

But the audio store I am going to does a lot of repairing and refurbishing of old turntables, and perhaps you should see if there is a place locally doing such work.

Other than that, garage sales are probably your best bet, tho refurbishng might be required anyway. Good luck!

Was your Dad recording to 78 in the early 1960's? I thought that pretty well ended by the mid 50's, when 33 and 45's were well established.

3. Bob_Bo

Bob_Bo Agent

4. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Note that some new turntables do come with an RIAA equalizer and phono pre-amp inbuilt which enables you to connect to any line-level audio input on your receiver. Denon makes one - see here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-R9O0OJ5...=0&cc=01&avf=N

You also need to ensure your receiver can handle the type of cartridge, moving magnet etc...

Some turntables even have analog to digital converters in them with a digital out.

N

5. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Have you done a search on e-bay for used turntables?

6. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Todd, if it's just a few records you are looking to transfer perhaps you might want to consider using a transfer service?
    I just did a google search on "recording transfer" and found a plethora of services with reasonable prices and most offer resoration services that will remove background noise and imperfections on the records.
    These recordings are obvioulsy very special and it might be worth spending the extra money to have them cleaned up and transfered professionally so your father and your family can enjoy them at thier best.

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I like the look of the one Danny justed posted a pic of...

But I'm also looking at an awesome cobalt blue Project turntable...

How many ways to spend money... [​IMG]