Help Finding a DVD Player with DVD-A and SACD support.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Bamberger, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

I have a neighbor who is making his first DVD player purchase. He has the Yamaha RXV1 receiver (very nice) and a Carver sunfire amp too!

Anyways, he would like to find a "reasonably" priced DVD player which supports DVD-A and SACD. His current TV does not have component inputs, so I guess progressive is not totally necessary, but I told him if he is going to this level, he ought to get a progressive player for future upgrading of the TV.......

He has looked at only one player, one of the Pioneer Elite series and was a little taken aback at how expensive it is. He saw it for over $1000.

Anyways, are there players that support both DVD-A and SACS that are cheaper but still good purchases?

He also will be a much higher percentage of Music than Movies, thus there is a desire to have the music formats.....

Please pass on your thoughts and let me know too if there are locations carrying any players you suggest that have coupons or special offers out there.

Thanks!

2. Jeff Bamberger

Too bad the Panny RP91 doesn't support SACD....that would be a good player for him.....

3. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

the sales consultant at my local audiophile shop told me Pioneer Elite was coming out with a DVD player that does both DVD Audio and SACD in Fall 2002. don't know the model number

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Pioneer is coming out with two such players. When will be the successor the 47A and will cost over a grand, and the other will be a cheaper model, something like $700 or so.

5. Jeff Bamberger

Hey Mike,
    Thanks for your thoughts. I noticed that you are from Brighton. I used to live there. I'm up on the North Shore in Merrimac (which, do'h, you could see in my profile).
    Anyways, on Saturday's,I work from 10-5 at www.hometheatersystems.com in Framingham on Route 9 at the intersection of Edgel Road. You (or anyone else in the area) are welcome to stop by tomorrow or any Saturday. We have 2 kick a$$ theater rooms. We tend to sell total solution theater room from automation wiring and room treatments to equipment (especially projectors/screens, plasmas, and awesome furniture (via catlog)). We don't have a lot of equipment for sale but can try and get anything. (Come to think of it, I should be seeing what I can get the 47a for).
    Anyways, I think I will be bringing my copy of Speed: 5-star tomorrow to play with. I hope to watch it tonight depending on my daughter's sleep schedule tonight.....
    Regardless, I should be firing it up tomorrow for a bit. My sneak peak last night tells me that the video and audio are stellar and live up to Ron's review easily!!!!!!

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, the only legitimate DVD-Audio/SACD player available at present is the Pioneer Elite DV-47A. It retails for $1200, but is available at Tweeter for $1000 and by mail for as low as $750. The '47A has gotten mixed reviews online and in print. Pioneer will replace the '47A with the '47Ai and will also release the lesser-expensive '45A later this year. In addition, Marantz will be releasing the DV-8300 DVD-Audio/SACD player for around $2000 soon.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

WSR just put out a very good review of the video aspects of the 47a this month. Audio part is reviewed next issue.

The only knocks I've seen against it are, it's relatively light weight of 11 lbs compared to previous Elite players(which is still heavier than most DVD players at around 7 lbs), and the fact that it has the chroma bug.

The 47ai and the 45a will be Pioneer's 3rd generation of "universal" player. No other major manufacturer is even on their 1st yet.

The 45a's list price will be about $800 if I remember, that should put the street price close to $500.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I have read mixed reviews of the '47A's audio capabilities, especially with CDs and SACDs. It seems that its strong suit is DVD-Audio playback, for what it's worth.
    the abso!ute sound has a review of the '47A in the August/September issue. The review is posted online, so go to www.theabsolutesound.com . I would say the '47A got a mediocre review.

9. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I can not think of the model but Sony makes a ES model that does both DVD-A and SACD. After looking the Sony ES and the Pioneer 47A out. I am leaning toward the Sony IMHO, it can be tweeked to look just as good as the Pioneer Elite. And from what I understand the build quality on the Sony is nicer. And the overall finish is much nicer on the Sony vs the Pioneer. Darn did I just praise Sony for something ? LMAO :b

Oh well, LOL it was bound to happen some day. Still LOL.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dave, Sony does not make a DVD-Audio player of any kind. Sony co-developed SACD with Philips and is pushing SACD exclusively. Sony has released a handful of DVD/SACD players, including one ES model, but none of them are compatible with the DVD-Audio format.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Keith- Sorry, but I don't subscribe to the Absolute Sound being anything but a mag that reviews components according to their price! [​IMG]
    47a reviews have *also* been in WSR (see above), S&V, Home Theater Mag, DocDVD.com, & SGHT.
    "You can wait forever. The DV-47a is a great player *now*, and it will keep you up to date longer than anything else on the market."

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

13. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I've got a Pioneer DV-47a and very impressed with it's playback of both DVD-A and SACD formats. The weight is a none issue as far as I'm concerned ( no offense intended to other memebers). Sound quality is superb, and the image quality is also fantastic. I've read that this unit has the chroma bug but honestly I've not seen it. As for price, mine cost about $850 retail and was purchased at a local independant Audio/Video dealer that sells mid/high-end equipment.
    Here's a link if you would like to look at the spec's for this unit.
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,21653,00.html
    As you know the only way to truly know if any peice of equipment is right for you is to audition it yourself. One mans treasure is another mans trash.

14. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin T, yeah I know where Kevin C Brown was coming from. I was just being sarcastic. In re-reading my post, I can that the sarcasm might not be obvious. In any event, we all have different opinions of hi-fi and home-theater magazines. Personally, I feel the abso!ute sound and its sister publication, The Perfect Vision, are far superior to Sound & Vision. Sound & Vision is the magazine I least enjoy reading.

16. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Reviews are what they are, someone's opinion who has spent a limited amount of time with the unit with a limited range of components. I don't pay much attention to them. I have the DV-47A in my bedroom system for about 4 mos., I had the 9000ES in the bedroom system for about a year prior to the DV-47A, I have a XA777ES in my main system. My bedroom system backs to my main system and I have the DV-47A into it as I previously had the 9000ES. I have borrowed and spent lots of time with the Marantz SA-14 and done many side by side comparisons between the SA-14 and 9000ES and the SA-14 and the DV-47A and the SA-14 and the DV-47A vs. the Rotel for DVD-A all in a store on reference systems with speakers up to $40k/pair.

The review indicates that the DV-47A has bass management for SACD, which I believe is inaccurate, although I have not looked into extensively since it was not something that was of interest to me. The DV-47A lacks in build quality and the SACD playback is so-so. A tad better than the Sony 500 DVD player I bought for my brother that can be bought new at the moment for about $180. Anything, I've listened to critically is with upgraded power cords (I've made) and with the build quality of the DV-47A, I stuck little Bright Star isolation feet underneath ($12.50/set of 4) its feet and then later on a Bright Star Little Rock on top.

I found the picture of the DV-47A a little softer than the 9000ES and actually viewed then on various screens (both have the bug which I think it overblown), including a 110 inch Gray Hawk via a Sharp 9000 proj. There are positives and negative to this, not necessarily making one better than the other, although my personal prefernce would be the Sony at least on my bedroom TV (Samsung 40 inch WS LCD rear proj.). On 2-channel SACD playback, would take the 9000ES any day, but not so with the way I tweaked the DV-47A for CD playback, although I prefer the Sony as a transport only if I were to use it that way with a good external DAC. For movies, it is still a close call as I had them at different times and have not played back enough of the same material to come to a conclusion. The DV-47 at this time is a decent value at its price point and for the convenience of one box will likely stay in the bedroom system for a bit.

So, if a slightly softer picture is something that will be a factor you can't live with or with just so-so SACD playback in 2-channel, then you might want to look elsewhere. Other than that, I can't find anything terribly wrong with it, even listeing to it on my main set-up of a Bryston pre/pro, Proceed HPA amp, Thiel 7.2s and 2 Rel subs set up for stereo. One has to remember that reviewers get perks too and they won't be overly excited about a product of the nature of the DV-47A. I have friends who have equipment from reviewers that the manuf. never asked them to return or gave them offers they could not refuse to keep it for a bit. They have a vested interest in liking the better things, which probably are better, but I'm sure they need to spend more time with those units to really make sure. Many local dealers have policies that let you take things home and it they don't work out return them with the original packaging with 30 days. I would look for such a situation and keep it if you like it and return it if you don't.