What's new

Help finalize my sonosub plan, please. (1 Viewer)

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Background:
I've had a Shiva tucked away for some time now (since the initial HTF deal). It took me some time to find the tube at a reasonable price and then some additional time to actually drive to the place. When all the projects started creeping up, and I was regularly reading this section of the forum, it seems like the only thing that was around for free was WinISD. My initial plans were based on this (and a heavy dose of the Ron S. end table model here Link Removed ). Now there's this thing on the Adire site that I downloaded, but it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Now then:
The project finally got underway today. I've got a 26" length of 24" dia. tube cut as well as 4 internal end cap pieces from 3/4" MDF. This leaves 23" of internal tube (10405 in^3). The plan was to have dual 4" (already have the pipe, so please no suggestions for different sizes) ports and a tune around 21hz. If I'm to believe WinISD the ports will have to be 23-24" each for a fairly flat curve -3db around 20hz. I was planning to get the port flares from Madisound (although I'm not sure what exactly these look like from the nonexistent description on the site - do they have a clear inner and outer piece for each set?). SOOOOO . . . what do the experts think about all this, what alterations are necessary in port length for the flares and/or bends in the port structure, and what about stuffing?
Thanks for the help!
P.S. I mentioned that I haven't been following this area for some time, and I figured it was easier to give my specific ideas/questions rather than searching endlessly for something that may or may not apply in another thread.
If someone knows a specific thread that might help, let me know.

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I don't think it's really necessary to use stuffing, but you may want to use a polyfil batting to line the inside of the tube with. It helps to minimize the standing waves developed between the two endcaps. I just bought a sheet (it's used for making quilts i think) of this stuff at the local craft store, and used some tacky glue (comes in the gold colored plastic bottle) to affix it to the tube. The glue is a little more cost effective than the common velcro method. Good luck.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You don't need more than 3/4" of endcap on each end, so save a bit of internal volume, and forego the double 3/4" thick internal endcap if you need the extra volume. I have 2 subs built with only 3/4" of endcap on the insides, and they perform fine. Just nail and caulk the perimeter well.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
I assumed that Madisound sold the flare pieces separately, but I found out otherwise when I called today. Does anyone sell just the flared ends to fit into 4" PVC? Also, does the kit they sell come apart and accomodate a longer length tube, because that isn't going to be long enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks