Help! External HD won't show up in "My Computer"

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Bought a new Maxtor External 3200 series 200Gig USB hard drive and plugged it in via USB and the XP machine of mine recognizes it, it's listed in Device Manager, but refuses to show up in the "My Computer" section....I tried the device on my old Windows 2000 machine and it showed up fine when I plugged it in.

Maxtor tech support is stumped...

Anyone know if there are XP settings I need to change to let the PC see/show the drive in My Computer??

Many thanks for the help!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
If this is a new drive it may need to be formated first:

1. Right click on My Computer, select Manage
2. Click on Disk Management
3. Right click the new drive, and format as neccessary (be careful not to select the wrong drive)

Enjoy!

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
You also sometimes (quite frequently, I'd say) have to go and manually assign it a drive letter the first time in XP. You do that in the same place, by right-clicking the drive and choosing to change the drive letter (I forget the exact name but it's obvious once you get there.)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I haven't tried the format thing...tech support had me assign it as "Drive S"...it shows up still in 'Disc Management as a "Healthy/NTFS/198 GB" disc

Should I right click on the drive in disc management and click "Format"??

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Note: If I type S: in Explorer, I can access the drive that way. Still not in My Computer.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Thanks to a random post I found on Google, I discovered if I open the Drives section of my "TWeak UI" program I just needed to check the "S" drive there to make it show up!!!

It worked...man was that odd...oh well..glad it's working now!

Thanks all.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ab1979