What's new

Help/explanation needed on these speaker specs (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
frequency range -6db at 34hz and 42hz
frequency response 44hz-22khz +- 3db 37hz-20khz +- 3db
high frequency crossover 150hz,4hz 1975hz

these are listed on the specs of a couple of speakers I am interseted in. What do they mean & which is better?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Might help if you gave a little more info about the speakers and which specs go with which...

The most common reference to frequency response is the -3dB point, which is roughly a 50% decrease in sound at the given frequency. -6dB would mean very little sound at this frequency.

Knowing the crossover frequencies does not tell you vast amounts about the quality of a speaker.

James Edward

Supporting Actor

I have a slightly different take on the above quote. I had always read that it takes approximately a 3db difference in sound(higher or lower) for the human ear to recognize a change. And that it takes twice the power to play a speaker 3db louder incrementally(if 1 watt=90db,
2 watts=93db, 4 watts=96db, 8 watts=99db, etc.). So it is not a 50% decrease in sound at -3db, but a 50% reduction in power required to drive said speaker.

Having said that, you can read between numerous threads here at the HTF that will educate you on the fact that specs for speakers can be manipulated many different ways. Sure, if one is a small monitor, and the other a floorstander, the specs will vary greatly regarding their bass output, but you already know that. You need to listen, see what you like, and base your decision on that. Don't buy a speaker based on a 2 or 3db difference in frequency range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks