Help explaining DVD Player audio/passthrough.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jim X, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Jim X

Jim X Auditioning

First of all this is a great resource! I have learned a lot from reading threads in the past few days. Now on this subject I just couldn't find a combination of keywords that would find what I needed.

Here's the situation. I am cheap, plain and simple, and I am looking to maximize my aural pleasure with the biggest bang for my buck. Now, I am also planning on upgrading my computer speaker setup that I have now, a 5.1 system. I would be replacing with a new one so I would have a spare set of 5.1 speakers not doing anything. The problem with computer speakers is they have no built in decoder, so I would have no way to decode DTS, Dolby Digital, or Prologic II. I would like to use the speakers to play DTS 5.1/Pro Logic II outputs from my Playstation 2.

I have come across some info regarding some DVD players that can decode DTS/DD/PL II. Pro logic would be the MAIN methos I would be using as that is what the PS2 nomally supports. Some of those DVD players have 5.1 output, as in 6 channels, 6 RCA hookups in the back outputing the Decoded signal from the DVD player. The old 5.1 speakers from my computer have 3 1/8" mini-jacks for inputs (I believe), so the 3 jacks could be split up into 6 RCA inputs.

Ok, here's the question.

Would I be able to buy a DVD player that would be able to take my audio input from the Playstation 2's output(normal RCA OR optical), decode the input it is recieving, then output the decoded sound to my PC 5.1 Speakers?

I am sorry that this has been so long winded but I really wanted to make sure I got all the info straight and there wouldn't be any misunderstandings.

Thanks!

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

The first question would be....what would you use to amplify the signal from the playstation to the speakers? I would assume that the speakers themselves would be powered/amplified right? The second thing is that the 6 channel outputs you are describing on the back of a DVD player are usually 6 channel analog outputs used to get high resolution sound from SACD and DVD-A discs. It doesn't sound possible without an A/V DTS DD amplifier thrown into the mix somewhere. I may be wrong though since I don't have much experience with PS2, and only limited experience with an Xbox.[​IMG]

3. Jim X

Jim X Auditioning

Well, to answer the first question. The PC 5.1 Speakers are self amplified, amplifier in the subwoofer, which send the amplified signal to the rest of the system.

I guess a similar setup would be satelite tv. Satelite shows are sometimes broadcast in Dolby Digtal 5.1, correct? So can you take the "audio out" from the satelite reciever (2 rca jacks, or one optical out) and hook it into the "audio in" of a DVD player, and then have the DVD player (with built in decoder of course) decode the satelite audio signal and then send to the 5.1 speakers, via the 6 analog outputs on back of the DVD player?

I could use either I believe for Pro Logic on the PS2, the signal can be carried from the RCA jacks, or the Optical out. As for DTS I am fuzzy on this one, I think I may have to use the optical out to get it.

I guess my MAIN question would be. Can a DVD player be used as a Pro Logic/DTS decoder, or does it only decode the DVD soundtracks, no decoding of inputs?

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

No, a dvd player can not be used as a Pro Logic/DTS decoder for another source, it can only decode soundtracks of discs being played on the player itself.

The most compelling reason why this is true is the simple fact that dvd players do not have any inputs, they only have outputs. There is no way to feed them a signal, digital or analog, from another source device such as your PS-2.

5. Jim X

Jim X Auditioning

Thanks Steve, I guess that solves it. I guess I really never considered that they wouldn't have inputs. I guess It's time to find another solution [​IMG] !

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

You might do a little research on HT receivers with pre-outs. This feature is becoming more common and has filtered down into some fairly inexpensive models. You could feed the receiver digital bitstreams from your PS-2 and satellite box and connect the pre-outs to your powered speaker system. Crutchfield is a good place to find specs and features, their prices are among the highest though. You could go there to find models with pre-outs and then shop the 'net for lower prices on models you're interested in.