Help, expert opinions needed.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RobP, Nov 29, 2004.

1. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to get a new dvd player, as i just aquired an hdtv, however I am somewhat out of the loop. The tv is an older model so no DVI or HDMI required. A Universal player would be nice. I would love to get one of the denon players but they are too much for me right now. I am on a budget of about $300 max. I demoed one of those Pioneer dvd 578a's and it seemed nice for the money. Not the best video performer though. I was going to keep it anyway but is there anything on the horizon that looks promising? I am in no hurry and can wait?

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I don't know how adventerous you want to be, but if you bought that Pioneer 578, or its predecessor, the 563, I hear often about people modding the beejeezuz out of these things and ending up with something pretty special.

Even as is, they're not bad at their price point at all! Problem is, there aren't that many "pro scan only" universal players out there. If you had the money, I'd really steer you towards the Denon 2900. Probably the best pro scan you'll see this side of a grand. Ecost has it for $550 on refurb. New wil be in the $600's...

Pro scan only players seem to be slowing down, especially universals. You might have to go with the 578 if your budget is going to be tight for a while. It's not a bad player and it's an open toy box for hacks and mods. [​IMG]