What's new

help - dvd, mp3, cd-r player recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Art_C

Stunt Coordinator
Panasonic DVD-CV51 is one that comes to mind.

I have the RV-31 which is the single disc version. It plays DVD, Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3, VCD and just about everything that I can throw at it. The only exception that I can think of is SVCD. The CV51 can probably be found for ~$200 online. BTW, the CV51 doesn't have a DD/DTS decoder, I assume that you already have a DD/DTS capable reciever.

Todd K

Second Unit
I am confused about people discussing CD/DVD players that can play CD-Rs. I can understand a unit not being able to handle CD-RW, but I have yet to encounter a player that cannot handle CD-R. Even the stereo in my car can play them. Or are people talking about different uses of CD-R here? I assume it means a disc that has been burned with music on a CD-burner.
I am eyeing several DVP players right now, and want to make sure I'm not disappointed, as is the starter of this thread.
-Todd
p.s. Dave, since you're in the area, have you checked out Belmont TV in Alexandria in your shopping? I heard their ad on the radio the other day and they seem to have the lowest prices around. www.belmonttv.com.

i'm pretty sure most, if not all, NEW players play CD-R....but many of the last generation players did not...i have a Toshiba 1700 in the bedroom that will not play cd-r discs, and that player is not too old...g

ohh, to answer the first question---i'm also trying to get info...looking at the panny RP-51 or the Toshiba SD3755 for a changer player

or

Toshiba 4700, Toshiba 3750 or Panny RP-56 for single player...good prices and free shipping at onecall , but i don't think they carry the Panny RP-51 (can get at video-direct )...g

GabrielC

Stunt Coordinator
Just like Gavin said, quite a few of the older DVD players couldn't/wouldn't read CD-Rs, in fact they might even read CD-RWs better than they did CD-Rs (my Sony at home does that, I can't remember the exact model number off the top of my head)

In fact, I've heard that Sony players were the worst for this because they didn't want to support people being able to copy music. If this is true, I guess they've learned that they'll have a harder time selling players if they can't read CD-Rs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks