Help! Dust in my 4805!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rod Martin, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Rod Martin

Rod Martin Stunt Coordinator

Rod
    I've had my InFocus Screenplay 4805 for just over a year now (my first projector -- love it). Recently, I've noticed what appears to be dust inside the lens(es). It's most obvious when the projector first switches to the source and the screen is black. I can see white "blobs" in several areas that are consistent day to day. When I look into the lens (from an angle), I can see what looks like dust accumulated on an interior lens. I've cleaned the exterior lens and that did not fix anything.

How can I clean this? How can I prevent it from happening in the future?

Thanks!

2. Stevecatch

Stevecatch Auditioning

Unfortunately, lenses are very delicate and easily scratched, but I'm sure you already know this, so you really can't touch the lens itself. There are lens cloths available for the outside of a lens, but nothing for the inside.

What I would suggest is to get a can of compressed air and blow out the inside of the projector and hopefully blow out the dust on/inside the lens. As for preventing dust from entering the projector, it's really impossible. I would suggest trying to keep your projection environment clean and periodically blowing out the projector every now and then. You can probably pick up a can for 5-6 dollars at any retail electronics stores. Whatever you do, do not block the fans of the projector thinking that it will keep the dust out. It will, but it will also overheat your projector and kill it. [​IMG]

3. Rod Martin

Rod
    Thanks I will try that. And don't worry, I know not to mess with the fans or blocking the vents.

4. Rod Martin

Rod
    Thanks I will try that. And don't worry, I know not to mess with the fan or block the vents.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

5. Rod Martin

Rod
    Took a closer look when I went to try to blow the dust off. First off, blowing air from several angles around the lens produced no change in the dust images on my screen. Second, upon closer inspection, it appears the dust is actually on the mirror that redirects the lamp light 90 degrees to the lenses.

I can't imagine I am the only one this is happening to. Any ideas how to clean off the mirror?