1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! Down to 2, HTD III vs JBL Studio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry_B_B, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Ok, I'm waffleing. I'm upgrading everything; receiver- Yamaha 5140 to Outlaw 1050 (Outlaw amp later). Sub- Sony to HSU VTF-2. Where I'm stymied is the speakers. Main focus is home theater, which is why I was all set for the HTD Level III towers, center and bookshelf surrounds. But,and there's always a big-a$$ BUT; this system will also be used for music (65% theater-35% music), mainly jazz. Have not seen much regarding the HTD systems and music. I've heard a lot about the JBL S-Center in theater and I like the 3-way design. The center size also compares with HTD, and I think a larger center with a lower crossover will suit me for movies. Considering the JBL S-310, which seems to have rave reviews on music and theater.Seeking reference or guidence from anyone with experience with either of these two systems, purchasing before month's end [​IMG]

2. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

I say go for the JBL S series.
    I have the S310s for the front, and the S38s for the rears. I opted to go with an center channel from a different maker. I didn't like it's construction, though I'm told I was mistaken...I love my system. Don't miss the S-Center a bit [​IMG]
    Sam

3. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

I can tell you that the HTD Level3 Bookshelves will not disappoint in the music area. They are, by far, not the best and greatest, but for $200 they are better than most may think.
    The only problem is that some people say they are "bright" sounding. Yes they are, a bit, until they are broken in. Then they sound very good, especially with the SVS 20-39PC I got to go with them.
    The Level3 Center is also a great speaker and with the new design blends seamlessly with the bookshelves.
    ------------------
    You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
    My DVD Profiler Collection

4. Greg_Bedard

Greg_Bedard Agent

I have the HTD setup you're talking about (without the HSU sub) and I think it's music ability is underrated (I think it depends on your receiver). I probably have the same movie-music percentage as you and I have not been disappointed one bit. The towers really are superb.
    I don't really know much about the JBL's, but I don't think they are towers(?). I think you'd be remissed not to try the HTD's and their money-back guarantee. They have great customer service.

5. Doug Samsel

Doug Samsel Extra

I auditioned the HTDIIIS towers and my friend has the JBL's, but rather than the HSU sub I have the SVS 16-46pc. In side by side comparison on folk, jazz, classical, Windam Hill style stuff, we found the JBL's to be more open and accurate by a substantial margin. I would recommend them over the HTD's without hesitation. However, I also auditioned the Norh 4.0 ceramics and kept the Norh's. Without out a sub I would have chosen the htd's. With a sub it was norh first, jbl second and htd third.

6. Paresh_M

Paresh_M Auditioning

I just purchased the HTD level three set z and the sound is amazing. I haven't heard the JBL or norh's, but ON both music and video the sound coming out these speakers not only amazed me, but also anyone who hears them. Although the Denon 3802 i have them hooked up to the speakers may play a small role the reason the set sounds that good. On another note the customer serive with HTD is great.

7. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Haven't heard the HTD III's, so my biased opinion is for the JBL Studio's. I have them and I love them!
    Mike

8. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Well, I own the HTD Level III bookshelves, so naturally I would recommend them to anyone interested. I haven't heard the JBL Studio series though, so I can't say for certain if they're better than those.
    You know, I think it's funny that people say the HTDs sound bright. Personally, I think they're a little on the warm side, very mellow. At the very least, they're not overly harsh, which is one of the reasons I like them.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"

9. Ben_L

Ben_L Agent

Hey J. Fo, wheres your site at man? The link to it doesnt seem to work. I wanna see your HTD III set. Im thinkin about getting me a pair of Level 3 bookshelves myself.
    Barry_B, I have the studio S-center right now and although it has next to no bass, speech sounds clear as day on it and very natural. Good for movies, not too good for music. The only thing is its made out of some kinda plastic which may or maynot turn you off. Although its stiff high quality plastic, i can still feel resonance at high volumes which are more noticeable than with well-built wood cabinets. The rest of the Studio series will handle music better and are made of wood, But they still have some plastic on the front that mimics the look of metal. HDT speakers, on the other hand, look more basic and nonsensical(sp?). Plus i believe the center and bookshelves in the III set are bi-wireable/bi-ampable.
    Best thing to do, is to try the HTD III out and if you dont like them, just return it. Apparently, theyre so confident that youll like the HTD's that theyll even pay for the shipping incase u decide to return them.
    [Edited last by Ben_L on October 05, 2001 at 06:57 AM]

10. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

Ben,
    That's exactly what turned me off to the S-Center.
    The AR Center channel I bought is about 35 pounds and sounds great. It even blends in to the JBL system really well, with no real noticeable difference.
    Sam

11. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Ben;
    Well, my web page no longer exists. I created it using the my college's server when I was a student there. I graduated in May, and since I no longer give them any money, they have no reason to keep my web page going. I'm afraid it's lost forever.
    It doesn't matter really. I created the site before I got into home theater. Consequently there was nothing on that site about HT, nor were any pictures of my system. I'm working on getting some pictures online, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    If you would like to know, here is a list of all the gear I'm using:
    • Television
      Toshiba 42H81
    • DVD Player
      Panasonic RP91
    • Receiver
      Onkyo TX-DS575X
    • Speakers
      Home Theater Direct Level III bookshelves (two pair) and center channel
    • Subwoofer
      SVS 16-46PC
    I have no real reason to tell you all that. I just felt like listing all my gear. Hope you understand! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"