Help! Dog ate remote

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jill, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Jill

Jill Auditioning

Hi there..I am brand new to your forum and hoping someone here can help me. My son's dog ate the remote for his Akai DHT 300 Receiever, and he has asked me to help him find a replacement remote.

Now, being the good mom that I am, I want to inpress my son with my vast internet experience by finding him a replacement...only problem is, I have been Gogling it for 2 days now and finding nothing.

Can anyone here, PLEASE point me to a website that would have a replacement remote that I can purchase??

Think of it as a late Mother's Day present?? ;-)

tia,
    Jill

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Short of getting a direct replacement, you can look into learning remotes. You can spend a little, or you can spend a lot. RadioShack also has learning remotes and that may get you by. Other than that, a good site is remotecentral and FWIW they've got a forum there too.

3. Jill

Jill Auditioning

thanks..I am heading off to those sites now..... is a **learning remote** a type of remote that can be programed to **learn** the system you want it to work with?

-Jill

4. Jay Foster

Jay Foster Stunt Coordinator

Jill,

Yes, a learning remote can "learn" your system. It depends on how much you want to spend. remotecentral has a customer questionnaire that will select a remote for you based on the features you want. You may want to look at the Kameleon 8. Sells for $99 although you can find it for less. Got a 99 rating in DVD Etc. magazine.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

jill -

first i congratulate you on doing this. that's very cool of you! [​IMG]

just keep in mind that akai receivers aren't very common and you may run into some difficulty finding a learning remote that has the necessary built-in codes.

(the way learning remotes generally work is that you enter a 3-digit predetermined code. the remote knows that code belongs to an akai receiver. so now the remote "acts like" an akai receiver remote.)

i even checked the jp1 forum (don't ask... [​IMG] ) and couldn't find a file for that receiver.

again, this may (or may not) be an issue for you. just something to be aware of.

good luck!

6. Jill

Jill Auditioning

thanks for the information Ted. I think the learning remotes at Radio Shack are going to be the best way to go.

thanks again to both of you! :b

-Jill

7. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Regarding learning, is the dog-eaten remote still functional? If it isn't, you're going to have to find a remote that has the Akai commands in its database since you won't have anything to learn from. As Ted mentioned, that may be difficult to find, but the One for All (and certain Radio Shack remotes) would be your best bet.

If you just want a replacent for the original remote, try replacementremotes.com or 123remotes.com.

8. Jill

Jill Auditioning

Is the remote still functional??. well...the dog is a pitbull so odds are, no, it isn't. [​IMG]

thanks for your suggestions..I just went to 123remotes and put in a request. Never thought this would be so difficult..

Hopefully, if we cannot find the replacement, an all in one will do the trick.

thanks again!!

-Jill

9. Andrew Beckmen

Andrew Beckmen Stunt Coordinator

HAHAHAHAHAHA...

The dog ate the remote!

10. DanielKennedy

DanielKennedy Auditioning

Hi Jill,

Radio shack's 8-in-1 (part number 15-2116) has a setup code for Akai receivers (0115). It cost about $30.00 and is a snap to use. It has a small display screen and good back lighting plus it is kinda cool looking. Give it a try, you can always take it back!

Seeya,
    Daniel.

11. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Try www.replacementremotes.com If they don't have one they also repair remotes or maybe they can steer you in the right direction for a replacement. You din't say how bad the remote was damaged but if it's not working your not going to be able to program a "Learning" remote because it learns from the original remote. As above, you might want to try one of the Radio Shack remotes to see how close it comes to controling the features that the original remote had & they will always take it back if your not happy with it.

12. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Go to the manufacturer's site in this case. Akai dropped out of the U.S. more than 15 years ago, but seems to be making a minor comeback now in the home theater business. Their spare parts products may be hard to find because they are still establishing their distribution chain again. If the DHT350 system was purchased since 2001, Akai USA should be able to provide a remote. If you get lucky, they might do it for free to build customer loyalty, but I wouldn't bet on it. Their Web site link:

Akai Customer Service

13. Jill

Jill Auditioning

thanks everyone.. I am following up w/ your suggestions. Just emailed cust care at Akai and also will phone them tomorrow.

thanks again for all the help!! ;-)

-Jill

14. Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre Stunt Coordinator

Can you imaging "passing" a remote? Ouch- poor dog....

15. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Could be worse... your dog could have chewed the hell out of a MX700 like mine did.. Oh yeah, scratched up a MX500 before that. No longer a puppy and doesnt chew anymore thank god.