What's new

HELP! Does anyone own a DMR-E20 DVD Recorder? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am interested in buying one of these, but I need a few questions answered beyond what the web sites tell me. The machine will only record 60 minutes of video onto a 4.7 gig disc at the "best quality" recording speed (requiring at least two expensive blank discs for the average movie). But is the 2-hour mode so bad? I just can't get an answer about the quality of the next-highest recording speed from anyone, because apparantly no one has ever actually used this unit. Any feedback? Thanks!

John Graves

Agent
Dick,
The Pioneer version, the new PRV-9000, also records DVD-R in a V1 and a V2 speed. V1 is the "highest" quality and yields about an hour +/- on the 4.7Gb blanks. Recording quality is superb.
In the V2 mode, called "standard", you can record 2 hours +/- on the 4.7Gb discs. IMHO, recording quality is better than S-VHS.
For evaluation purposes, I'm viewing the discs on a 40" Direct View Mitsubishi. When I attempted to throw a V2 disc on my 8'wide front projection screen, the picture lacked definition. On the Tube, it looked better than S-VHS.
I was surprised to discover than both DVD-R and DVD-R/W discs, recorded on the Pioneer PRV-9000, played back perfectly on 3 other Pioneer players (including a portable), and a basic Panasonic DVD-A120 player.
There are also a LOT of image adjustments that can be performed both on the Record inputs and during Playback.
The way this deck is designed, you should think of it as a VCR that uses DVD media in place of video cassettes.
Good Viewing,
John G :)

ray_lowe

Auditioning
I have DMR-E20 and it uses the same convention as VHS recorders.

XP, SP, EP and i remember there is Extra extra long play (4 hours on a disc) - i need to check when i get home)

XP gives you 60 mins on 4.7 Gb disk

SP 120

EP 180

Anyways, I find SP a good balance of recording time and picture quality.

DMR-E20 can only be hooked up (video in) via S-video.

I have digital tv cable and didnt notice that much of a difference on picture quality on my plasma. But that depends on the program presentation .. (502i, 10xxi etc).

XP recording does look a little bit sharper but SP is pretty good.

i use XP if i am recording documentaries on good digital presentations and SP for sports i want to keep and EP for times i am not home to swap the discs.

hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks