Help: do it yourself component cable?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Torgny Nilsson, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

A while ago, I had a contractor run conduit through my walls for cables to a future projector. Now that I have the projector, I noticed that the 1" conduit he ran is too narrow to accomodate pre-made component cables. So my only choice is to pull 3 cables through the conduit and then put the connectors on them after they are through. But I have never worked with anything but pre-made component cables. Does anyone know what cable I need, if this is an easy project? Or am I better off biting the bullet and calling an audio/video company that knows what it is doing to do this (probably at a high price)? Any advice is appreciated.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, there used to be a site HERE that had pretty simple instructions on how to build some good quality inexpensive sheilded A/V cables from MCM parts. I guess he took the how-to site down, but he's still got links to the MCM parts. The best part of these was there were no specialized tools involved.

3. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Just get 3 shielded cables that will fit inside the conduit. Go to radioshack and pick up 6 RCA male connectors; use color coded ones if you can find them.

Get a friend or someone with a soldering iron to come over and solder the connectors to each cable making sure they correspond to each other if they are color coded.

I've done this many times and it works great.

4. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

For what it's worth, here's a page that explains a fairly simple process for making cables:

DIY A/V Cables